Sign in to follow this  

tire height and handling??

how does tire height effect handling and performance on a supermoto?

17" rear wheel, 4.25" width.

how does tire height effect handling and performance on a supermoto?

17" rear wheel, 4.25" width.

The taller the tire typically the larger your contact patch will be while leaned over. The right tire for a 4.25 is going to be a 150 but i ran out of tire very easily. What tires are you looking at?

The taller the tire typically the larger your contact patch will be while leaned over. The right tire for a 4.25 is going to be a 150 but i ran out of tire very easily. What tires are you looking at?

I havent started looking at brands yet, just sizes.

Contact patch while cornering is a good call, i didnt even think of that.

If both front and rear wheels are 17", would you usually want to match the tire sizes front to rear? Or is there an advantage in having differing tire sizes?

Has anyone ever noticed a decrease in braking ability after bumping up tire height?

if you're on a DRZ a 160 will fit without issue. after my experience with a 150, i would say you have no real reason other than a few bucks NOT to go with a 160 if you're looking for edge grip.

and yeah, you would use a smaller front... 120 but still a 17"

I havent started looking at brands yet, just sizes.

Contact patch while cornering is a good call, i didnt even think of that.

If both front and rear wheels are 17", would you usually want to match the tire sizes front to rear? Or is there an advantage in having differing tire sizes?

Has anyone ever noticed a decrease in braking ability after bumping up tire height?

Tire pressure and temp will play a bigger factor than the diameter. Well not totally true but when we are talking a 120/60 vs a 120/70 that extra inch in diameter isnt going to be noticeable. Really if you are running the correct tire pressures the contact patch on the taller tire under heavy braking might be a little larger.

I have to run 130/70 tires on 4.25 and 110/?? in front (3.5?) rim in winter because nothing else is available and they turn very quick but also lose grip early because contact path is so small while leaning. Taller and grippier tires feel "heavy" compared to those. For purely commuting and navigating in traffic the less tall tires are actually quite fun.

If seat height is an issue you can easily make 1" or more difference with a lower sidewall. I was very happy to discover that this year.

If you are racing then total contact patch is significant.

If you are street riding it is a non factor and if it is you need to get off the road an on a track. :smirk: