Sign in to follow this  

GoPro Helmet Mounting

Just got a Hero2 for XMAS.

Went to mount it on my helmet. I would like to mount it on top, centered. However, my helmet has a ridge, or crest, at the top and the adhesive mount does not make good contact. :bonk:

I was considering cutting off the double-sided adhesive tape from the mount and using a silicone adhesive with a thicker bondline so that the mount makes full contact. What do you think?

Here's what I just tried. It's a pic of a mount with a layer of silicone adhesive under it. The view is from the back of the helmet, looking forward. You can see the top of the visor in the background.

I used a flat mount. so the bondline looks thick, even in the center, because of the curvature of the helmet.

DSCN0473.jpg

Here's how it ended up. I let the silicone dry overnight at room temp because the bondline is thick. Also, hit it with a heat gun a few times to warm it up and enhance the cure. No issues. :bonk:

Went for a ride onthe street to get it lined up. I like to see the handlebars in the field of view. For me, it makes the video more interesting. Tough to do from on top of the helmet with a visor, but I got it lined up.

Adhesion seems good. Cleaned both surfaces well with isopropyl alcohol and contact cleaner before bonding. Will trail ride with it today.

I also replaced the large thumbscrew with a phillips 5mm x 20mm screw with a lock washer and a flat washer. Just seems to seat better. The knobs on the thumbscrew interfered with the case and caused the camera to tilt.

DSCN0477.jpg

DSCN0476.jpg

DSCN0478.jpg

Edited by Sofiedog

Don't forget to use the orange rubber do-hickey. It prevents the mount from rattling/clicking while you ride.

Hmm What is that ? orange rubber do-hickey ???

thx for the reminder. Mine came with a white rubber locking plug for the buckle. Is that what you are referring to? Buckle mount on Hero2 seems pretty tight. Manual says to use locking plug for high impact sports. I'll try it.

Ohhhhhhhhh I never could figure out *** that was for.. Glad I looked through this thread!

Some are white but here you go.

IMGP0723.JPG

Thanks ! I was wondering about that thing ! :smirk:

Some are white but here you go.

IMGP0723.JPG

Huh, mine didn't come with one of those... I got the Motorsport edition.

Hey, Folks!!!

FWIW, I thought I'd kick this out. I've been using my GoPro for awhile, with the camera mounted on top of my helmet when I ride at the mx track. I don't mind seeing the visor in my pathetic videos, but it is a little bit "distracting" for some folks. I did want to try and come up with a mount that gave a good perspective (a POV-"Point Of View"), was easily mounted, reversible, and might possibly stay on my helmet better in woods riding situations. I stole/copied/modified an idea from member "jmetteer", & came up with this:

2795381600043131368S425x425Q85.jpg

It's just piece of heat formed (bent) plastic with some holes in it, zip-tied to my helmet.

2048712940043131368S425x425Q85.jpg

I bent this plastic that I had laying around the barn. The plastic was originally bought from McMaster-Carr, to be used for a chain guide for my old vintage Honda XR500 I had. I bent/formed the plastic with a cheap Harbor Freight heat gun. :smirk: One thing ya have to do if you form plastic this way is to heat it, bend it, and then hold the plastic in the position you want it in for, say, 60 or more seconds, til it cools a little. Be careful not to burn your fingers!! Simply heating it, bending it, and not holding it typically doesn't work real well......

I cut up the 'base" portion of the little plastic container the camera comes on when you buy a GoPro camera. I then pop riveted that base to to my bent plastic. You can skip this step altogether, and simplify things a lot, if you have one of those flat peel & stick mounts that come with most of the cameras. I was out of the flat mounts, having used my last one on a wakeboard. It was the night before a race, so I made mine this way. Again, it would be easier to simply stick a flat GoPro mount on my bent plastic. Which is what I plan to do after I buy some more mounts......

2033310630043131368S425x425Q85.jpg

This is a close up of the hardware I used to mount to the vertical surface of my cheap chin mount. Again, this either came with my camera, or was bought separately & later......

I used this for an hour long hare scrambles race on New Year's Day. It held up really well; crashes & all...... :lol: About the only thing I didn't like was that the camera, even with the little rubber safety lock deal, could vibrate around some on the black plastic mount the cameras come on (the black plastic mount that's riveted to the bent white plastic). The camera seems to fit much tighter, and won't rattle around, with the peel-and-stick flat/curved mounts you get from GoPro. Some of that movement made a "clicking" sound in my race vid that's kinda annoying...... :bonk:

Anyway, this is a decent cheap mount, for me. Maybe it will work out for someone else. It can definitely be improved on, and probably simplified from what I've done. I plan on modifying this one with a peel & stick flat mount, and some rubber foam weatherstripping that will go between the plastic mount & my helmet. I basically made it in an hour the evening before a race, with stuff I had laying around..... Hope it helps some!

Jimmie