Sign in to follow this  

problems with Acerbis 2.7gal tank on 09'

i bought an Acerbis 2.7gal tank for my 09' 450. i got it for a great price, second hand. the tank would appear to be in great condition. anti-seize on all the threads. no crash damage. and clean. BUT, upon riding for the first time with it installed, yesterday, i discovered it leaks. it seem to be leaking at the juncture where the filler neck is bolted to the top of the tank. i was kinda worried about the fuel pump juncture, but it seems fine and dry as a bone. but the leak at the top is pretty bad. its hard to tell while riding, but im pretty sure its the juncture, and not the cap. soo, has anybody had this part (filler neck) removed from thier Acerbis tank for the newer bikes? im wondering if its a gasket? or and O-ring? or some kind of speacial sealer? i want to tear into it, but like to know what to expect before i pull it off. there is no info on the Acerbis website. and obviously the phone is out right now. i wanna ride, but need to fix this first. also, does anybody know of a different cap that will fit the Acerbis threads? i really dont like this cap that came with the tank. it seems to be of very poor design.

sure, this is the top of the tank with the cap off:

2011-12-31_13-19-04_991.jpg

if you look you can see fuel stains on the seat, and where it ran down the sides of the tank. and because i was curious, i took the cap apart:

2011-12-31_13-19-38_274.jpg

after seeing this abortion of a design, im not sure where the leak is??? there are no less than 3 potential leak points in this retarded cap. it may work in a pefectly controlled environment with zero dust, but in the real dirt bike world, i cant believe this design would even be considered! let alone patent-pending. patent-pending for what? being 10% stupider than any gas cap ever designed? and yes, i know what a dry-break is. and why. and if this is supposed to act like one, its a huge fail as the center piece doesnt even fit iside the cage it would have to be pused into in order for it to function as a dry break. so i guess my real question is: does anybody know of a normal gas cap that will fit this tank?

Can you make an aluminum center piece and just use the gas cap threaded part and just use a regular vent hose or one of those little one way vent things that go on the shorter over flow line?

You'd need to source an o ring for between the aluminum and the cap and then make a another to seal the cap to the tank..unless you could use part of what youve got there.

That bigger part all the way to the right, does that fit all the way across the tank inlet?

i have a 2.9gal acerbis on my 08.. the neck is nothing like yours (solid 1 piece tank with neck molded as part of tank not seperate bolt on neck) but my cap IS like yours. No issues, bu ti don't use the dry brake.. i just put some black duct tape over the push-in part of the cap as i didnt' want any dirt/dust going into the tank in a crash. has worked flawless thus far, and the tank fit like a glove. As im sure you found out, the stock cap won't fit.

yea, i am very happy with the fit of the tank. it did not push the front of the seat up very much, if any at all. that was important. and it is only minimally wider, and where it is wider does not affect anything. great tank. crappy cap. i will figure something out.

so, i pulled the tank loose, and slowly rolled it back so i could figure out just where the fuel was coming from. as soon as the fuel reached the juncture of the "bolt-in" part, it came pouring out around the screws. so, it was not the cap that was leaking! (still dont like this dumb cap)

2012-01-01_09-38-26_669.jpg

so i pulled all the screws, and the part:

2012-01-01_09-50-40_771.jpg

no sealer, no gasket, no O-ring. no nothing! so, now i know exactly what happened. the schmuck i bought it from took it apart and didnt reinstall the O-ring. its obvious that it was designed to use an O-ring. either that, or the person before him did, which is just as bad because it would have leaked on him too. and there was never mention of a leak. so, thanks for that, guy-who-sold-it-to-me! oh-well, i got it cheap enough to go buy an O-ring. still gonna be on the hunt for a "normal" cap that will fit these threads.

I'd try some gasket maker like permatex that has a gasoline contact rating.

That is if getting the proper oring and such is a giant hassle.

BB

I'd try some gasket maker like permatex that has a gasoline contact rating.

That is if getting the proper oring and such is a giant hassle.

BB

nah, just get the correct o-ring. You may be surprized, some companies when you tell them what happened MIGHT just send you the o-ring to keep good customer relations. I needed an Excell spoke wrench recently for my buddies crf250x, called Excell in CA and they shipped me one no charge..

yea, i plan on calling them to find out what the proper sealing method is. and, to see if they have a "normal" cap that will fit this tank. im sure i wont be able to get ahold of anybody untill teusday though.

yep! supposed to be an O-ring between the filler neck, and tank. the friendly rep i spoke with on the phone has sent me one for free! great customer support, even though i bought the tank second hand. AWSOME! ohh, if anybody besides me was wondering about the cap. Acerbis does sell a NON-dry-break cap that fits these threads. if you go on their website and look, its called the "large-cap".