Leak behind front sprocket

I have a 09 ktm 200 xc-w. i bought it new from a dealer early fall this year. it has about 25 hours on it:ride:. Today i walked into my garage a found that there was a quarter size puddle of what i woud guess is gear oil under my bike. I figured out it was coming from behind the front sprocket:foul:. I toke the front sprocket off and its moist with oil behind and there was just a weee little bit of play in the shaft ( moves in an out). My question is, why did this happen? What do i need to replace (or fix)? tips on how i replace it? thanks for all replies:thumbsup:

http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/oem-parts/KTM/2009/200XCW/TRANSMISSION-IL-_-COUNTERSHAFT?fam=Engine

The seal will leak if some dirt gets in behind the sprocket. I ride in sand most of the time so I take my countershaft sprocket off every couple of rides and clean the spacer and the seal. Then I put a little grease on the seal and put it back together. If you use a power washer on your bike be sure to not spray directly behind the front sprocket. This will force dirt into the seal.

Changing the seal is easy.

1) Remove the sprocket.

2) Pull the spacer out. It should come off easily, if not it has some dirt holding it on.

3) Remove the seat. I have a slide hammer and I pull it out with that but I have also pried it out with a screw driver as well.

4) There is an O-ring in there that also has to come out.

5) Get new parts. (O-ring, seal, spacer)

6) Drive the new seal into the case with a large socket or seal driver untill it is flush. I made a seal driver out of a piece of wood with a holesaw. That way It fits over the countershaft and I can't drive the seal in farther than flush with the case.

7) Grease the seal and the spacer, replace the O-ring, put the spacer on and the countershaft sprocket.

8) Besure to have plenty of slack in your chain! If your chain is to tight it will pull on the countershaft and let dirt in to the seal.

Nope, Hondas are perfection :bonk:

Not. I came out this morning and noticed a quarter size of gear oil as well, except last night I started it up for my buddies and we noticed it looked like it was coming from the seam in the bottom of the cases and only when it's been ran. If I clean everything off and put it up it doesn't really seem to leak. Any thoughts on this? I wish it was my countershaft. We just put a new top end, reeds, and exhaust packing on the bike. Literally everything is brand new except the bottom end of the motor.

Usually it is a case of a chain too tight.

At 25 hours, may just need a cleaning.

I never packed any grease in that area on my 05 and it didn't leak for 3 years.

How you clean it, how you maintain it, and how loose you run your chain have a lot to do with it. Chain tightness being very important.

If you think you are running your chain at the right tightness, pull the shock and line up the chain line with the swingarm pivot and see just how tight it is. That is the longest point. I set it at that point where it's not "tight", but not loose.