Sign in to follow this  

Kawasaki 2003 kawasaki bayou won't start

Hello, I have a 2003 kawasaki bayou that will not start. I have checked the valves and are in spec, air filter is clean, fresh gas, checked fuel filter and is clean, cleaned carb, installed a new battery, and a new spark plug, I haven't ran it in a while and want to use it.

Could the carb need an adjustment? If so how would I go about doing this? I have been messing around with the jets thinking that could be the issue.

But could anything else be the problem? The spark plug was black and im thinking it was running rich, how could I lean out the jets to get a leaner fuel/air mixture.

Any help will be greatly apperaciated.

Thanks.

change the plug and check that it is getting fire. if it it is sparking all is good there. next is fuel, spray some starter fluid in the air box at the carb and see if it fires. if it does fuel may be an issue. the basics is the best place to start.

I did change the plug, and it is getting good spark. I took the air filter off and when I crank the engine with the electric start it seems to be spitting fuel into the air box. Why is this? Could the timing chain be off?

Thanks for the response.

if it was running good when it was parked I doubt timing is an issue but nothing is impossible. Iwould set the engine to top center and check the timing just to be sure but I have found after sitting for a while it is usually a carb. problem. when you cleaned the carbon did you take the jets out and clean them also and remove the needle vaalve and clean it also.

I did clean the pilot and main jet, not the needle though, how would i go about checking the fuel level in the float? I was reading this in my service manual and read it could be the issue. Should I go purchase a carburetor rebuild kit? I don't think my float is stuck.

Thanks for all the responses.

Look on e-bay for kit it wouldnt hurt. afer taking it apart if the gasket was damaged at alll it will pull air in and cause problems too. If the needle is sticking it isnt letting enough fuel into the bowl and starving it for fuel. The service manuel should show how to set the float hight. Or search you tube they have all kinds of videos on there on how to do stuff like that.

that would be a jetting question for to much fuel. Or the air mixture screw that's when you go beyond me on this one. sorry. but as said before if it ran good before it was parked the needle valve is not seating properly and causing fuel to flood the carb.

It could be the needle, since I did have a throttle cable issue and had to replace the cable just now, maybe I did something wrong when connecting the cable and lost a part when installing it. Like a clip or something. I will have to check. Thanks again.