Sign in to follow this  

Advice for getting a 3 year old started in riding

I have a soon to be 3 year old. I've wanted to get him started in riding and mom agreed to get him a bike for easter... yes a bit spoiled. We went to the local indoor track and watched the guys ride. All he wanted to do was ride, which is great. My dad never wanted to get me started in anything and I refuse to be that way.

I'm looking for advice to get him going. We are looking at the pw50's, but what bikes should we look at? He'll be starting out with the training wheels. Also, when and how do you get a kid started in shifting and teaching them?

Anything you guys found helpful when getting your kids going is what I'm looking for. Thanks ahead of time.

Lead to him to water then let him take over. Alot of kids that age are scared of them and if you force the issue it will make him never want to do it. But if your like me, my kid is 2 and flips out when he sees bikes let alone other kids riding then get him a PW50 and go from there. Also your alot better off if he has been on a strider bike, teaches balance eliminates the need for training wheels when he gets to the PW.

Yeah, he's never seen me on mine, but I took him to the indoor track today and he loved it. All he wanted to do was ride. So the issue won't be for him getting afraid of it. And I'll have to look into the stryder. I started riding as a teen on a friends bike, so I'm new to the little guys market.

A Parents Guide to My First Motorcycle

This simple and straightforward booklet is developed to answer some of the most common questions asked by parents.

Now Taking Orders! $12.00

http://www.wheels4tots.com/products.html

I wish I had seen this book before starting with my son, I have used the same techniques to teach several friends kids to ride bicycles as well.

The PW50 or CRF50 are both great bikes for little ones. They both have throttle limiters and both accept training wheels easily.

And start teaching him to ride a bike without trainers, those skills be be a great asset to his riding.

I have a soon to be 3 year old. I've wanted to get him started in riding and mom agreed to get him a bike for easter... yes a bit spoiled. We went to the local indoor track and watched the guys ride. All he wanted to do was ride, which is great. My dad never wanted to get me started in anything and I refuse to be that way.

I'm looking for advice to get him going. We are looking at the pw50's, but what bikes should we look at? He'll be starting out with the training wheels. Also, when and how do you get a kid started in shifting and teaching them?

Anything you guys found helpful when getting your kids going is what I'm looking for. Thanks ahead of time.

Well, back in my day, when I was three years old , if I wanted a bike, I went and worked 12 hour shifts in the coal mines until I had enough saved up... LOL, sorry, I couldn't resist.

Seriously, I like the PW50 for the little guys. I have seen several lightly used PW50s here that came with the training wheels for around $600. Don't pay full retail for a new PW50, your kid will only be riding it for a few years at best. Let someone else pay the depreciation.

Don't worry about shifting gears at first. Start by having him roll forward and then apply te brakes. Teach him how to control the bike while stopping, and how to use the kill switch. After that, you can progress to him riding in small circles, and maybe even figure eights. Let him get as familiar with the basics as possible before you throw shifting gears into the equation. If your son is anything like mine, he will progress naturally, and all you will need to do is give him pointers along the way.

Good luck! Have fun!

• Like 1

Seriously, the used one is the way to go, new plastics and seat cover are cheap and it will look awesome. And a lot of them will not even need that, they mostly get very light use.

First bike should be powered by pedals, not electricity or gas.

Get the little spud a pedal bike and work, work, work with him to master riding it without training wheels. Kids should know how to stop, turn, start out, and control a pedal bike before you give them something that goes on it's own.

Then step him up to something with it's own power supply.

Get the little spud a pedal bike and work, work, work with him to master riding it without training wheels. Kids should know how to stop, turn, start out, and control a pedal bike before you give them something that goes on it's own.

C'mon, where is the cool factor in that?

EXACTLY!

I hate seeing kids on a pw50 with training wheels, and the throttle stop at 1/100 throttle, with a rope so they cant go more than 6 feet. What does that teach them???

C'mon, where is the cool factor in that?

How cool is it to see a kid that had no skills, experience or clue get hurt and scared, and never ride again?

Anywho, there is no "cool factor" in training wheels. None at all.

I'm assuming this kid hasn't already covered these basics, but if he has, kudo's to one of the few kids under the age of 3 who can not only ride a pedal bike, but have gained sufficient skill to be in control!:bonk:

^^ I agree,

But when you are ready you can start him on a Razor electric morotcycle and then step up. We just got the nephew a Razor MX 600 but he is 6. He loves it, quiet enough to ride around the neighborhood, learn throttle control and brakes.

Just my $.02

^^ I agree,

But when you are ready you can start him on a Razor electric morotcycle and then step up. We just got the nephew a Razor MX 600 but he is 6. He loves it, quiet enough to ride around the neighborhood, learn throttle control and brakes.

Just my $.02

X2

Stryder/ push/ balance bike

Pedal bike no training wheels.

Electric Razor no trainers

Ready for a real bike

My son was possesed since he was 2 ( my pit crew helper at races since birth)

Deal was had to be able to ride a pedal bike without trainers first. By 2.5 that was done and he was on the Razor. Just school fields the first couple years, then started on the MX track. He's been riding a KTM 50 Pro SR since 5 (6 now) at the MX track and rips.

Remember baby steps and don't scare them.

And if he just wants to hang out at the track all day and play in the dirt and not ride, let it go. Nothing that will make a kid hate it like pushing them and MX Dads are brutal.

stryder

pedal bike no trainers

electric bike (i regret skipping this stage)

gas bike

i also agree with not taking him out too early and not pushing him. i brought my little guy to the trails (fire roadish trail) too soon and now he is gun shy. he had a case of whiskey throttle and got to know a tree pretty well. no injuries except his confidence on the dirt bike. before that he would ride around the little loop next to the staging area. when we go out now i bring his pedal bike because i know he either wont want to ride his motorcyle or he will just ride it for a few minutes. we actually spend most of our family motorcycle time throwing rocks into puddles.

i regret not doing the electric bike because with that i wouldnt have to go to the atv park just to turn around because he doesnt want to ride. i could just hang out on the front porch. plus i think the noise makes him nervous. i guess its not too late for me to get an electric bike since he is only 3 (4 in FEB). i should get a razor but i really like those osets (except the cost)

Yep.

Then I would go to the electric before gas. Have the pw and crf50. the pw is way too fast on top end for a beginner that age. if you restrict with the throttle, it doesn't have enough power to get moving. the best way to restrict is the exhaust washer. another problem with the pw is no foot brake. a kid even close to that age doesn't have the hands to work the brakes well enough.

The crf is big and heavy, which makes it a problem.

Another thought, if a kid needs training wheels, he shouldn't be on a motorized dirtbike in the first place. I made that mistake myself. my little one came close to serious injury or worse with training wheels.