Sign in to follow this  

Gutted Stock Exhaust

I wish i would have taken some pictures of this as it was fairly easy and did wonders for the bike. So, let me try to explain the process i took.

1. Unscreen the back of the can and take out the spark arrestor/difusser. You gotta work to wiggle it out, but it will make it eventually.

2. Once you get the whole ugly thing out, you can see how much back pressure it creates. The bike has to push the exhaust through the arrestor and diffusor and it makes a lot of back pressure.

3. Cut it out!!! This isnt as bad as it sounds, so i will do my best to explain sans the pics. Really all you need is the cap on the end with the holew for the two bolts. So. I took a dremmel, used a metal cutting wheel, and from the outside of the cap. You want to do it right where the flat outside end of the cap starts to curve in towards the super small exhaust hole. Oce you do this, the cap has a hole about 2 inches...maybe a little less.

4. So by now, most are thinking, "but what bout the blessed spark arrestor?". Well, i took the screen out of pro curcuit on the crf 250x and it fits perfectly. Then install the cap over it. I had to drill out the bottom hole on the cap and used a pop rivit to hold it in place.

So, what did i get out of this? Obviously it is louder. But it sounds a ton better and opened the bike up a lot. I am running 68/165 jetting with a gutted air box and moose air filter.

Now my plan is to paint the can silver and pretend its something from the Flying Machine Factory. And i get to rip around with it at Taskers Gap tomorrow with my sons.

The spark arrestor on the factory exhaust (XRL) is actually not the restrictive baffle in the end of the pipe but the fan blade shaped part back inside the can. You can see it if you look in the end of the pipe. I made a new baffle for mine last summer and had similar results to yours. I had to go up one jet size after the baffle mod. I believe that my bike did pick up a little power too.

I think jwahrmund is talking about on his XR600R...?

My mistake. You are correct, this works great for the 600 although i believe the exhausts are similar on the early XRLs.

I do want to report that i think my jetting is off. I am going to try a 160 main and see if it goes better. At sea level the 165 is doing okay. Went to about 2500 and it did horrible. Trial and error. Its all part of the game.

Back in the day, aftermarket companies sold replacement rear baffles. I think the baffle assembly is just a tiny resonator muffler (perforated tube wrapped with fiberglass), so it wouldn't be hard to make one with a larger diameter internal tube. Some models of Honda quads came with that from the factory, and they'll swap on.

I think the XR600 and XR650L exhausts are pretty much the same. Some have a slightly different end cap shape, flat vs concave.