Sign in to follow this  

broken bolt... now what..

i was putting the valve cover back on after some valve clearance checks and one of the bolts while i was torquing it (to the right specs mind you!) broke off in (well idk what you call it)what retains the camshaft... and i cant get at it to even tig a ball onto it to wrench it out... soo this means i need a new head or is there anywhere where i could buy just this piece that the bolts in? :smirk::bonk: figures it happend... everything else i did to it today went peachy keen!:banana:

Easy fix. Remove the cam cap, keep track of the retaining clip and dowel pins. Center punch the broken bolt, drill it out then use an easy out to remove the bolt. If you don't have the tools or know how, it's an easy fix for the local machine shop. Re-install and torque to spec.

Assuming the bolt spun in freely without resistance, you should be able to force something down there and spin the broken bolt out.

Remove the cam retainer cap and maybe you can get a pencil erasure in there to spin it out, if there's no binding.

I assume your referring to the bolts holding the cam retainer and not the valve cover bolts.

definately put the cam cap in a bridgeport so you can drill the bolt on center and paralell. try a left hand drill bit first. I have had quite a few broken bolts spin out on their own after a pilot hole relieves the pressure.

Assuming the bolt spun in freely without resistance, you should be able to force something down there and spin the broken bolt out.

Remove the cam retainer cap and maybe you can get a pencil erasure in there to spin it out, if there's no binding.

I assume your referring to the bolts holding the cam retainer and not the valve cover bolts.

It was the valve cover bolts all put back together finishig up going to go ride.. Haha

definately put the cam cap in a bridgeport so you can drill the bolt on center and paralell. try a left hand drill bit first. I have had quite a few broken bolts spin out on their own after a pilot hole relieves the pressure.

Bridgeport? Is that a type of vise or a big ass machine?