Sign in to follow this  

New old ride...but is it vintage?

I can't post attchments for some reason so ill give you a hint. Its red and fast as he!!, built in 1983, rated one of the best open bikes of all time. :bonk: Anyway I can't get over the overall condition of this bike. The only heart breaking repair needed was the tank cracked were it has been leaning against a old dresser in a barn. I had it plastic welded and gona cover the repair with a decal for now. Then the normal....piston, clutch, cables tires, suspension ect.ect. but for the price...hum I guess price implies that I paid something for it huh?? It might not take the place of my CRF450R but its sure fun.

It is not vintage, vintage class is 1974 and prior. Latter 70's and into the early 80's are "evolution" . As in evolving technology...

It is not vintage, vintage class is 1974 and prior. Latter 70's and into the early 80's are "evolution" . As in evolving technology...

Its 83 CR480, I wasn't sure what yr "vintage" was.... so does this mean I can't talk about here? We can just pretend it has dual rear shocks and a short seat.....not much of an evolution but I know they gotta draw the line somewhere.

I would love to score me one of those! I love the old air cooled 2 strokes:banana:

Thanks. It was traded to me for a Jon boat...... About a yr ago I loaned my 1962 12' Sea King Jon boat (no motor or trailer) to a buddies buddy kinda thing. Well I wanted to get back so I stopped by his house and he said "I thought you already came and got it"... So I spent the next couple days scopin out the neighborhood and checking craigslist. Well he called me and said he thinks he found it on CL. It was the same boat but advertised as a 1957. I went to check it out...but he had the title, anyway he wanted $800 for the boat and motor. So I told the guy I lent the boat to aparently it's worth $800 (piad $100 ten yrs. ago). I asked if he had anything to trade...well I got the CR! I was happy with the deal!

Looks pretty special, you really found something good...

Nice find. It looks very original, other than the disk brake front end. It will stop better with that anyway. I sure like mine, they are as reliable as a hammer. If you need a list of some of the tricks associated with this model, PM me.:smirk:

are you sure thats a disc front end? I know guys who put those covers over drums. I thought Honda routed the brake line behind the leg after the last clamp. Thats obviously going fwd. I also cant see the bars for a master.

It's has drum brakes in the front. And gorgon, I will. Going to be a couple weeks before I do to much....I've made the misstake of pulling things apart before not having the time or money to fix them right, then becoming a "Basket-Case" listing on CL. I had the tank fixed already and now working on piston, clutch, clutch cable, air filter and carb rebuild. Then I will tackle...going through brakes, stem bearings, swing arm/linkage and plastics. Round 3 will be suspension rebuild and find a good OEM fuel tank.

More and more short travel bikes are returning to the parking spaces in the collections.....accepted the fact the late 1970's and early 1980's bikes are the new vintage. Come on out to the races and have fun!