Sign in to follow this  

Customer service, Scotts, FMF, Thor

So the day after christmas, I am shopping around online. On Scotts (steering dampers) website, I find a sweet deal for a skid plate on close-out. 25$ plus shipping. I order and pay for the item and begin the wait. A couple of days later I get a call from Scotts and was told, yeah we sold the last one the day before christmas, we don't have anymore. We can special order you one for 60+$. Last time I checked, if you have an ad up, you should honor it. I ask the guy to give me a deal on a handlebar mount for my project bike, no deal. Says I have to pay full price. They did refund my $ very fast, no complaints there. I have dealt with Scotts before and was very happy, but this time, it rubbed me the wrong way.

A few months back, I sent an email to FMF about getting a part for my muffler on the 450. Never even got a reply back. Crappy.

As far as Thor goes. Great customer service. Lost some hardware off of the chest protector after making sizing adjustments to it. My fault completely. Thor sends me what I need no charge, after I offered to pay for it. That is great!!! customer service.

Am I out of line for feeling that Scotts and FMF are not at the top of the game? JLow.

Seems like a petty thing. Most large companies like Scotts (though I dont know if Scotts does) have websites that are managed by other businesses and between the holidays and what not, sounds like a small communication error. They phoned you, explained the problem, refunded your money fast, thats whats most important. They cant cut everyone a good deal as they would be out of business. I would let this roll of your back as Karma will throw you a bigger bone in the future.

As for FMF, sounds like a few people have been having problems with them. I have not personally had any problems with them. I think FMF is going through a few internal issues (energy drink program, racing programs, new ideas etc etc) that may or may not have to do with your incident. Just chaulk it up as a isolated incident and move on.

Keep riding!

I know I've emailed FMF with some questions a couple times and never got a reply.

I would say it's pretty bad CS when you have a potential customer come to YOU with a question and you can't send a 5 sec email back.

Impressed with the Thor feedback as they are a big company and usually these are more lacking on CS than a mom and pop type company.

So you found a great deal on the "Sale Items - Hot Deals " Scotts forum? and the item itself was marked " Closeout!!!"

But they sold all available items before your order was processed.. Then A couple of days later I get a call from Scotts and was told, yeah we sold the last one the day before christmas, we don't have anymore" and promptly gave you a full refund.

And your upset?

Hmm, ok, Pretty sure most folks understand things in a clearance isle, web page, printed ad, are gone when there are gone, hence the "Clearance" tag.

And no reasonable person would expect a retailer to make them a deal on a replacement product when the "clearance" items have all be clerenced"

Sucks you missed a good deal, when those that ordered before you got all the available clearance items.. But that’s just life with close out and clearance items… First come first serve, all others, buy something else. .

Extreme Supply actually offered me several different gloves at the same price when the closeout gloves I ordered were not available. There's one example.

So you found a great deal on the "Sale Items - Hot Deals " Scotts forum? and the item itself was marked " Closeout!!!"

But they sold all available items before your order was processed.. Then A couple of days later I get a call from Scotts and was told, yeah we sold the last one the day before christmas, we don't have anymore" and promptly gave you a full refund.

And your upset?

Hmm, ok, Pretty sure most folks understand things in a clearance isle, web page, printed ad, are gone when there are gone, hence the "Clearance" tag.

And no reasonable person would expect a retailer to make them a deal on a replacement product when the "clearance" items have all be clerenced"

Sucks you missed a good deal, when those that ordered before you got all the available clearance items.. But that’s just life with close out and clearance items… First come first serve, all others, buy something else. .

You nailed it! :bonk:

Extreme Supply actually offered me several different gloves at the same price when the closeout gloves I ordered were not available. There's one example.

A different set, from the new product line listed at full retail? Or a different set from the closeout listings http://www.extremesupply.com/category/Closeouts-Gloves.html

Never seen a retailer give away new current line non overstock merchandise at close out prices, just because a buyer missed out on purchasing an item in the closeout bin.

Im sure it happens from time to time, as “goodwill” but I’m just as sure a company trying to dump old, noncurrent, overstocked items does not make it a habit to give away good, current product selling at retail prices, every time a clearance item is out of stock.

A different set, from the new product line listed at full retail? Or a different set from the closeout listings http://www.extremesupply.com/category/Closeouts-Gloves.html

Never seen a retailer give away new current line non overstock merchandise at close out prices, just because a buyer missed out on purchasing an item in the closeout bin.

Im sure it happens from time to time, as “goodwill” but I’m just as sure a company trying to dump old, noncurrent, overstocked items does not make it a habit to give away good, current product selling at retail prices, every time a clearance item is out of stock.

No the product offered was not from the new line. But all the gloves they offered me were more expensive than the ones I originally ordered. They even called me to finalize the order when I did not respond to their e-mail.

I told them I appreciated the offer, but declined as I was only interested in trying the original gloves.

I understand that is not the norm nor should it be expected on a closeout deal or a sale limited to stock on hand.

I did not say I was upset. Just thought that there customer service wasn't as good as it could have been. There website showed that there was something available that wasn't. As pumpkin stated above, that could be due to how they manage there website. What I was looking for, was for them to offer me 10% off of something, which they wouldn't do. JLow.

if you think thats shitty CS try to talk to mxtech about doing your suspension, after you have had your previous bikes done by them. no breaks no discounts 1000 bucks period, "bc were the best" jeremy says. well all i have to say is theres plenty of other reputable suspension shops that will talk to me about what i need, wont call me an ******* in the return email, and not try to take an arm and my leg for it. i saved the email just wont post it to here as i dont want to be sued by someone who evidently has money since his suspension setups are 1000+ dollars. i wish the worst on them. period

if you think thats shitty CS try to talk to mxtech about doing your suspension, after you have had your previous bikes done by them. no breaks no discounts 1000 bucks period, "bc were the best" jeremy says. well all i have to say is theres plenty of other reputable suspension shops that will talk to me about what i need, wont call me an ******* in the return email, and not try to take an arm and my leg for it. i saved the email just wont post it to here as i dont want to be sued by someone who evidently has money since his suspension setups are 1000+ dollars. i wish the worst on them. period

Really???

All I've bought is parts from these guys but I've found Jeremy extremely helpfull. Great customer service IMO.

The poster paid for an item and did not get it for the price they paid for. The website implied there were still available when he commited to and they accepted his payment. I would think most e commerce programs would show an item in stock and available at the time of the sale. Not telling you that its not available days after they took your money. OK so mistakes can be made on the retail side of things. It would of been good customer service to do "something" for the customer. 10% off a current item or discount off the next purchase would of been very appropriate. BTW there is a HUGE markup on sub $50 items. Now they probably lost a customer for life not to mention members reading this that might hesitate to buy any other items from this company. Penny wise and dollar foolish I say.

• Like 1

Thank you scotteroni, my point exactly. JLow

No the product offered was not from the new line. But all the gloves they offered me were more expensive than the ones I originally ordered. They even called me to finalize the order when I did not respond to their e-mail.

I told them I appreciated the offer, but declined as I was only interested in trying the original gloves.

I understand that is not the norm nor should it be expected on a closeout deal or a sale limited to stock on hand.

:bonk: Good service like that should be rewarded :smirk:

Seems like a petty thing. Most large companies like Scotts (though I dont know if Scotts does) have websites that are managed by other businesses and between the holidays and what not, sounds like a small communication error. !

You're not from the area so I assume you aren't real familiar with them - Scotts is NOT a large company. Small-ish storefront and some online sales to supplement it. Good and very knowledgeable guys there though. They've helped me out with minor stuff on a few occasions at no charge to me where I've offered and even insisted on paying.

Also offer incredible support for their own products (stabilizers in particular).

You're not from the area so I assume you aren't real familiar with them - Scotts is NOT a large company. Small-ish storefront and some online sales to supplement it. Good and very knowledgeable guys there though. They've helped me out with minor stuff on a few occasions at no charge to me where I've offered and even insisted on paying.

Also offer incredible support for their own products (stabilizers in particular).

The size of the company wasnt the point, the point was a lot of businesses dont manage their own websites. Scotts is built on a certain business model and I pretty sure it wasnt building internet sites.

Dude, i really want to see that e-mail. Sounds hilarious :smirk:

Our apologies about the e-mails not getting responded too at FMF Racing. We have many e-mails that come in from customers across the world and try to answer all of them in a timely manner. We have been a bit off in the past, but I believe now we have addressed the issue and are handling it well. Just a tip to get a more complete answer on an item the best way is to call us at (310) 631-4363. Thank you for your words and we will definitely work on serving our customer better in 2012! Happy New Year to everyone!

FMF Racing

Our apologies about the e-mails not getting responded too at FMF Racing. We have many e-mails that come in from customers across the world and try to answer all of them in a timely manner. We have been a bit off in the past, but I believe now we have addressed the issue and are handling it well. Just a tip to get a more complete answer on an item the best way is to call us at (310) 631-4363. Thank you for your words and we will definitely work on serving our customer better in 2012! Happy New Year to everyone!

FMF Racing

Appreciate you acknowledging this :smirk:

I have a few FMF pipes, and will continue to buy FMF as long as the 2 stroke pipes keep coming, seeing as 2 stroke pipes in the woods are a disposable item.

I just know communication from your guys side in the past via email wasn't great.