Sign in to follow this  

Is this bad?

I'm going to see about buying a used dirt bike.

The guy selling said that the spring on the kick starter is weak and so sometimes it doesn't grab the right way.

Is this a common problem and or an easy fix? Or should I steer clear.

common problem, ez fix, but i would negotiate price by $150 just in case the kicker assembly has some problems. A wise man would fix it before a broken piece wandered around the cases. Usually, easy starting bikes dont break starters though, so check for regular maintenance

That is not a hudge problem by any means,as I just replaced my kickstart in 30 seconds.Remember it IS used,so be on the look-out for other problems,GOOD LUCK.

There are literally a thousand things that can and do go wrong with these bikes.

Fixing them is part of the hobby. Fix the kick starter and wait or find the next thing to fix.

You should be ready to tinker with the bike often and regularly.

While you're here do a thorough search of this site and find out what you SHOULD be looking for before you buy a bike. You'll be amazed at the differences between what sellers call "good condition".

My own bike doesn't look very good but is mechanically sound. All bearings are new and greasy. It runs and rides like a newer bike. I did a lot of work.

My buddy's bike has lots of shiny parts and looks good but rides like a clapped out piece of crap. It's needs a ton of work.