Sign in to follow this  

Are EFI bikes less maintenance

hi everyone, i currently ride a 2008 yz450f and i was looking at the new EFI bikes because they are fuel injected and might be less maintenance than the carburetor counterparts, is this true? and would the upgrade to a 2010 kx450f for about ~$900 be worth it?http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/2773103930.html

how does this bike sound?

Sounds like you want the Kawi and are looking for justification, that's what is sounds like! Haha, just havin' a laugh. If you add a pipe, you'll need to re-map instead of re-jet, don't think there will be a big difference in effort between the two. One thing is for sure, a few jets are cheaper than programmers.

The Kawi will run a lot cleaner than your Yami at low RPM (even if you are jetted correctly) and will feel like a significant power increase everywhere. The 08 Yamaha’s were pretty tame in the 450 class and the 10 Kawi’s were rockets. Maintenence will be the same with the exception of jetting.

CoKTM

Fuel Injection does not eliminate a single aspect of regular maintenance. It does negate the need for swapping brass (unless you modify the engine, intake or exhaust, then you have to re-program it), but I don't consider that to be a maintenance item.

EFI seems to add a degree of difficulty to dirt bikes. Clogged injectors, faulty fuel pumps, leaky gas systems. Perhaps over time the EFI will get better. Or maybe these bikes are owned by guys who used to have carbed bikes and are not knowledgeable about the increased fuel system maintenance an EFI bike needs!!!

I will agree with the EFI adding difficulty to dirt bike maintenance.. When my yamaha has carb problems, I read up online or in the service manual and figure it out. When my efi kawi had problems with the efi... I ended up dishing a ridiculous amount of cash to a dealership.

But concerning maintenance, no more jetting is a plus!

I would keep the yamaha, out of personal preference

Yea but jetting is not really a maintenance issue as already stated , unless you constantly ride from sea level to 9,000 ft in the same weekend or day , its not justifiable to say EFI requires no jetting , Carbs require no jetting once they are set for your riding elevations and temp , i can ride from 2000 to 9000 ft with only a slight adjustment of the fuel screw and nothing more , i dont call that high maintenance

I have ridden the 09 KXF450 , and its a great EFI bike ,and of all the EFI bikes out there Kawi has it down compared to the other brands but , that being said , i dont see any issues with the bike you have comparatively i think they are one of the better handling bikes on the market for that year , or even now , i would consider this a brand/eye candy swap more than , a less maintenance swap