Sign in to follow this  

My first ride on the DR780 w/ big Valve Head..impressions and Video

So after many delays and "foot dragging" I finally got to take a spin on my newly assembled bigbore/bigvalve DR650. From the first time i let out the clutch you feel that pulse of new torque thru the bars, familiar, but new. It really pulls hard, rendering first gear almost useless under hard acceleration and just keeps pulling as you go thru the other gears. Im sure ill need to get some Dyno time to really dial it in but for now, I'm happy. Is it worth all the money? Probably not. Is it a lot more fun to ride.. Hell ya! The DR is a little closer now to my old xr650R and much more civilized.

here is a video of the beast in action.

It looks like you're pulling wheelies at very low revs on the 780 and sounds like a real tractor although a little rattly? Do you mean closer to your xr650 in terms of power? I would have thought the with the extensive mods your 780 should have the edge on an uncorked xrr. Hope you will get some good readings out from the dyno. Thanks for taking the time to get a vid up I really look forward to seeing a clip of the 780 tearing up on the dirt too:ride:

It looks like you're pulling wheelies at very low revs on the 780 and sounds like a real tractor although a little rattly? Do you mean closer to your xr650 in terms of power? I would have thought the with the extensive mods your 780 should have the edge on an uncorked xrr. Hope you will get some good readings out from the dyno. Thanks for taking the time to get a vid up I really look forward to seeing a clip of the 780 tearing up on the dirt too:ride:

Its a tractor alright, I think the power is a little low and im going to play with the jetting a bit..and re check the valves too. My XrR was lighter than the DR and felt much more wild as the motor rev'd up a lot quicker.

Looks like you have plenty of power but it does sound a bit funny maybe due to wind noise from the cameras mic.

Looks like you have plenty of power but it does sound a bit funny maybe due to wind noise from the cameras mic.

I was playing with the sound in imovie to try to fade the wind noise out..the mic on the camera is completely unprotected

very cool man - I just pulled the trigger on a 780 big bore kit, 190 cam, and the big valve head.... should have it installed in a month or so.... your in ny ? cool im right outside of nyc we should get a ride going!

did you change anything with jetting?

very cool man - I just pulled the trigger on a 780 big bore kit, 190 cam, and the big valve head.... should have it installed in a month or so.... your in ny ? cool im right outside of nyc we should get a ride going!

did you change anything with jetting?

Hey man.. sounds like a plan.. if this weather holds out we may be able to take a ride once you get it together. Also, hit me up if you have any questions.. I leaned a lot from the mistakes i made.