Sign in to follow this  

Brake Fluid

I need to refill my brake fluid, the brake fluid container on the handle bar is completely dry right now. I bought DOT 5.1 brake fluid because the guy at the shop told me to, but later when I went to refill the the fluid I saw that the container it says to use only DOT 3 or 4. Is it a big deal which DOT of fluid I use or should I bring it back? Also, what are the ups and downs of using DOT 5.1 in my case? Help is much appreciated. :bonk:

Generally – the higher the DOT number the higher the boiling point – a good thing when using brakes in extreme conditions (they even build some exotics for race specific applications so it won't break down under extreme heat)

That said

DOT 5 is a totally different fluid than DOT 3 or 4 – meaning it can not be mixed with 3 or 4

So if you want to switch to DOT 5, you’ll need to completely drain and flush your system else the seals will deteriorate prematurely

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOT_5

As for my suggestion

Return it and get DOT 4, then drain out the existing fluid front and rear and replace... being sure to remove ALL the air

Then as annual maintenance change it every season to ensure proper brake operation

I believe from the factory they use DOT 3 in the front, DOT 4 in the rear...

But it's fine to use DOT 4 for both the front and rear

eta being that the front M/C is dry, you my have a seal leaking either in the M/C or caliper.. or possibly a bad brake line

RN

Dot 5.1 is fine to use in 3 or 4 systems apparently.

Dont mix 5 with 3 or 4.

alright, thanks for the insight! i will return it and just pay it safe

alright, thanks for the insight! i will return it and just pay it safe

No need, you can run it. 5.1 is the same basic fluid as 3 and 4.

Only 5 is different. It´s also purple to distinguish the difference.

by the way someone mentioned draining the fluid... WHAT EVER YOU DO DON"T DO THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what you do is pump the old fluid out of the bleeder whilst pouring new fluid into the top.. Bleeding these breaks are a major PITA