Sign in to follow this  

Bike loading into truck bed

I don't get why you see so many people straining to push their bike into the back of a pickup?????

First choice, ride it in.

If you are uncomfortable with that then push it in as you usually would but with the bike running and use your clutch control and just walk it right in under it's own power. No straining on your part, you've got an engine, let it do the work.

I don't get why you see so many people straining to push their bike into the back of a pickup?????

First choice, ride it in.

If you are uncomfortable with that then push it in as you usually would but with the bike running and use your clutch control and just walk it right in under it's own power. No straining on your part, you've got an engine, let it do the work.

^^^^^ This is what I do. Place the ramp, use my bike stand as a step, leave the engine running, and walk the bike up using the gas and clutch. Kind of like walking a bike up a steep hill. Simple, and effortless. I'm loaded in a couple minutes, while my buddies are struggling to push and pull theirs up.

Last time I tried to ride my wr up into my old lifted Ford Hiboy, it ended poorly! :bonk: Haven't tried it since.

The skill of stepping onto a bike stand (with an oil drain hole) and then onto the tailgate, while pushing the bike up in a sort of clean and jerk two move-motion, is essential to me as a measure of overall arm strength and fitness.

I have titanium plates and many screws in both arms and hands, so for me it began as a test of the healing process after each break. The hardest your arms and wrists should ever work at the track is loading the bike. If I can pull that off then I figured I was ready to race.

It is really a trick in winter, minus 30 loading up to go to arenacross with ice under the stand and in the box. Not too mention under the ramp...

Seems that would be way overkill to just load a dirt bike. Been doing it for years with a ramp and a bike stand with no problems. If you want to make it easier either get a longer ramp so the angle isn't as steep, or get a quad ramp that you can walk up beside the bike while it's running and use the bike's power to get up the ramp.

I was blessed (and cursed) with long legs (6'4''). I just get a running start with the bike and jump into the back of the truck without a stand or anything...If I miss one of these times it's gonna be bad though!

If you have short legs like me, and stepping on your stand it hard to pull off then go to Lowes, and get the 2 ramp package for $149 that fold in half. Then you can start your bike let it power itself up one ramp, and you walk up the other right next to your bike.

why not just mount a winch in your truckbed and pull them up the ramp? it'd be cheaper.

+1. Interesting. Especially for tall trucks.

I use a milk crate to step up on. My pickup is pretty low so it's never been a real chore to push it in. Most of the time I'm lazy though and just ride it up the ramp.

Yeah they don't even list a price on that site! I bet you could buy a nice used second bike for the cost of that lift, and a small trailer.

Me I use the 4' wide atv ramp, start about 10' from the ramp to get momentum...in the truck no problem.

Hi

After a session at the track, the last thing i want to do push the bikes up a ramp into the truck. Im kind of liking this idea (link below) but having 2 bikes side by side. Has anyone made anything similar??

Are you really that lazy? :bonk:

I have been riding my bike in for over 40 years.. I have seen many people try to psh their bike in and step on a cooler/milk crate/rock and slip and fall. Never saw anyone fall riding in..

Guys, I've been loading my 1997 Buell S3 street bike into the back of 4x4 trucks for many years. There are three reasons why I do not push it up the ramp with just muscle power: it weight 450 pounds, the truck bed is high because it's a 4x4, and the ramp is short and therefore steep. As tribalbc indicated, there's an engine in the thing that is more than capable enough to pull it up that ramp. Just feather the clutch.

To avoid mishaps I made a modification to the ramp - I installed rails for each side of the ramp so that I don't accidently steer the bike off into thin air. Also, I do not use a bike stand to step up from the ground into the truck bed. It is much easier and safer for both me and the bike to walk up a 2x8 plank I set alongside the bike ramp. I've never had a problem, and it's certainly not an athletic or difficult maneuver. An old man could do it. Which I am!

Are you really that lazy? :bonk:

the 4-joke trend has spread to every part of peoples lives.

:smirk: jk

Guys, I've been loading my 1997 Buell S3 street bike into the back of 4x4 trucks for many years. There are three reasons why I do not push it up the ramp with just muscle power: it weight 450 pounds, the truck bed is high because it's a 4x4, and the ramp is short and therefore steep. As tribalbc indicated, there's an engine in the thing that is more than capable enough to pull it up that ramp. Just feather the clutch.

To avoid mishaps I made a modification to the ramp - I installed rails for each side of the ramp so that I don't accidently steer the bike off into thin air. Also, I do not use a bike stand to step up from the ground into the truck bed. It is much easier and safer for both me and the bike to walk up a 2x8 plank I set alongside the bike ramp. I've never had a problem, and it's certainly not an athletic or difficult maneuver. An old man could do it. Which I am!

Load your bike much in the rain? MX boots with mud on a slippery 2x4 is not going to work. It is called a DIRT bike for a reason.

Yes I am that lazy. its the climb up onto box then onto tailgate that gets me. While on the box you can not push that hard else the box will slip over from under you. This is how i do it at te moment. just looking for the lazy mans method.

I could get a wider ramp to walk up next to bike, but thought something like this would be way cooler.

Reason I dont ride up the ramp is because if i do it, my brother in law will do it and most likely drive through my back window.