Sign in to follow this  

Backup (get you home) Ignition

I've done a lot of searching and found a few posts by a few members here on a backup ignition system so if (more like when) the exciter coil goes out you can get it running to get it home.

The bike I have is a 1987 Xl600r that I bought from a PO that sold it because the bike would quit on him. Long story short it turns out that the real culprit was the cdi. But he had also replaced the ignition coil and the stator with a Ricky Stator.

That Ricky Stator just failed on me a long ways out in the dirt. Hense my search for a backup ignition system given these deals seem destined to fail.

TopDogDave posted an idea of perhaps carrying an XL650R CDI unit and if a failure occured.....then I assume he would connect the CDI unit.....unplug the red/black lead from the exciter coil and then connect 12 volts dc to the red/black lead going to the CDI box.

Has anyone done this and does this work? I'm not talking a permanent conversion.....just talking ignition to get home on.

Also Cleonard's idea of using a "wall wart" as an external exciter coil also sounds like it would work. But I am not sure how to wire that in.

Open for other ideas also.

I don't know about guys carrying spare igniter coils, I have read about guys with 650's carrying cdi's with them.

I have an 86 xl600r and the cdi's from what I have read don't seem to have the problem as the 650's do, but they do have weak stators, if your bike starts cold but not hot, you probably have a bad stator.

the 650's don't seem to have the stator problem the 600's did.

That said, and I could be off on some of that but that's what I've gathered from my reads.

Now I have also heard of ricky's going out, %$@# happens, but as a rule they are pretty good.

If I owned a 650 I would carry cdi as a spare as that is what goes.

The 600 I don't think it's a problem, but if you have a spare, what the hell, bring it along. I have heard of very few pulse coils going out.

If the stator goes out on you in the woods I don't know of anything that will take it's place as it is the power generator for the spark. when your bike cooled off did it start? That is a tell for a bad stator.

Don't know if any of this dribble helps, just what I have discerned.

Is there anyway to connect up the lighting portion of the stator to the ignition in a pinch? My Ricky stator has 2-100w a/c lighting circuits, would that not be enough to generate a spark.

Is there anyway to connect up the lighting portion of the stator to the ignition in a pinch? My Ricky stator has 2-100w a/c lighting circuits, would that not be enough to generate a spark.

No..not enough volts. Carry a Wall Wart to step it up if you must..this should be an easy exercise

I don't know about guys carrying spare igniter coils, I have read about guys with 650's carrying cdi's with them.

I have an 86 xl600r and the cdi's from what I have read don't seem to have the problem as the 650's do, but they do have weak stators, if your bike starts cold but not hot, you probably have a bad stator.

the 650's don't seem to have the stator problem the 600's did.

That said, and I could be off on some of that but that's what I've gathered from my reads.

Now I have also heard of ricky's going out, %$@# happens, but as a rule they are pretty good.

If I owned a 650 I would carry cdi as a spare as that is what goes.

The 600 I don't think it's a problem, but if you have a spare, what the hell, bring it along. I have heard of very few pulse coils going out.

If the stator goes out on you in the woods I don't know of anything that will take it's place as it is the power generator for the spark. when your bike cooled off did it start? That is a tell for a bad stator.

Don't know if any of this dribble helps, just what I have discerned.

The bike is fine now. The Ricky Stator died early for sure. I simply put on the original stator the PO took off....which tested 230 ohms. I'd just like to be ready next time. Be nice to have as many a guy has been stranded by these deals. I have a tested ignition coil for a spare and a spare cdi from a 87 xr600r (it works on the the xl as I tested it) that I carry on the bike at all times.

Edited by Fiat48

Nice you got it running and good you have a spare cdi just in case, now you need to get that stator rewound and put it and a gasket in a box you can leave at the truck for those weekend trips

I had considered changing the stator in the field and could do that but I don't like opening the motor up out in the dirt.

I'd like to try the transformer on the lighting coil and see if it would work.

My idea to try is as follows:

Using a transformer such as this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-110V-12V-Power-Converter-Low-Voltage-Electronic-Transformer-/190581667736?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c5f8d7798

and then disconnecting the lighting coil wire (single white/yellow lead on my bike). Connecting one lead of the transformer (12 volt ac side) to the lighting coil, other lead to ground.

One lead of the 120 volt side of the adapter to the Black/Red (which goes to the cdi) and the other lead to ground.

I am not used to working with AC. Would that wiring be correct for that?

Someone posted about having a stator wound with two ignition windings, so the second one would be a backup. You could mount a backup CDI to the frame, and even backup wiring.

the 600 ricky stator comes with two ignitor coils, they are smaller than the one original one, hopefully for reliability, maybe redundancy too. I had my original stator die and kill the ignition, bought a ricky and many thousands of miles later it died, but on the charging coils this time. Bought another ricky, and all is well. they even seemed to cure the rubber grommet leak in this version.

I didn't get long out of Ricky Stator for some reason. Maybe 300 miles at most. It had the 2 ignition coils. Maybe it was bad all along or something. Always was hard to start but I took it as the nature of the beast.

Now with the oem original stator made in 1987 the thing starts way better. But with 23K miles on this stator and it's age I wonder how long she can go?

the 600 ricky stator comes with two ignitor coils, they are smaller than the one original one, hopefully for reliability, maybe redundancy too. I had my original stator die and kill the ignition, bought a ricky and many thousands of miles later it died, but on the charging coils this time. Bought another ricky, and all is well. they even seemed to cure the rubber grommet leak in this version.

Are you speaking of the coiled windings on the stator? I believe they are interconnected so if one grounds so goes the ignition..

I didn't see a wiring diagram of it, but I suspect you are right. i think they did the two coils to reduce load and extend reliability. seemed to work, the charge coil died on my stator, but it still ran great. They did add a ground to the frame too, rather than just trusting the harness.

I noticed on the stock stators I have seen, the single ignition coil looks blackened like it got hot. When I took out the duals, they were like when I put them in.

The Ricky Stator's ignition winding spans two poles, but I think it's one continuous wire. What I read about was someone custom winding a separate ignition winding on the opposit side of the stator for redundancy.

Considering the number of XL600 factory stators which have the ignition windings fail, I wouldn't have much faith in one. The Ricky Stators seem to have a good reputation; you just got unlucky with your first one.

Well I tried a wall transformer on the lighting coil but it did not work for me. Perhaps the stock stator lighting coils are too weak.

Oh and I did get a good look at the Ricky Stator. It uses 2 poles but I confirmed it is the same wire...just wound opposite direction on the "second" pole.

Edited by Fiat48

When checking my stator, the ignition circuit was around 50 volts. Perhaps some electrical wiz could design a small "step up device" for the 14 volt lighting coils.There are more windings than the ignition so it would seem the capacity is available.

Well I think so. I disconnected the black/red under the seat.

I cut the wires on the transformer off. On the 120 volt end.....I ran one lead to the Black/Red which goes to the cdi. The other lead to ground.

On the 12 volt end I ran one lead to the white/yellow (lamp coil lead) and the other to ground. When that didn't work I tried both 12 volt lead ends to the lamp coil lead.

Didn't work either.