Sign in to follow this  

rear drum brakes 86xr250 not working.

hey guys, these brakes are brand new, 1/2 dozen rides on them or so.

the always fade when wet but i usually just drag abit and its all good. not this time i can stand on the lever and it barely slows me down, i figured okay, pull rear wheel, inspect, sand/clean glaze off of them, ruff'em up and good to go.

Nah, after all that barely a slight improvement. not sure what to try. i know i'll figure it out just looking for some suggestions.

Silly question perhaps, but check where your adjustment nut sitting on the shaft. If it is half way down the thread then remove and relocate the cam braking arm, should be on a spline. You will be able to get more adjust me this way. Also if your brakes are getting wet and there is old residue(oil) in the drum then you pads will be contaminated and may need replacing. If none of these check all specs in a manual if you have one.

do the pads have slots/grooves in them? if not, cut some in with a hacksaw blade. that will help with the water issue

+1 on the previous two posts. I use Brake Cleaner to make sure there is no grease or oil residue. The rear hub/brake on your bike was introduced in 84 and uses the same size shoes as the 84-02 XR200R so it has plenty of braking power, something is not right.

Also different brands of lining behave differently and new linings often don't make full contact with the drum so you should pull the brakes and check for high spots; they will be darker from contact with the drum. Sand the shoes to reduce the high spots, also sand the drum to remove glaze. While the shoes are out use a hack saw and cut angled slots in the lining; I cut 3-4 sets of "X" grooves, the sharp edges help wipe water from the drum and drain it to the sides. EBC sells shoes pre cut with grooves.

Hope this helps.