Sign in to follow this  

Looking for a new bike

Been tossing around the idea of taking the plunge and purchasing a new bike lately. I currently am riding a 06 yz450f on PNW single track (walker valley for the most part). I have added a few creature comforts to make it a little more trail worthy ( weighted flywheel, 18 rear w/ trials tire, 52 t sprocket), but it is still quite a handful. I am a fairly new at riding trails although after riding the yz for about 3 months I have gotten quite used to it but want something a little more suited for trails. I also discovered shortly after purchasing the yz for $1600 that the previous owner did little to no maintenance and it is probably in need of valves and new valve seats along with a new piston and what ever else is wrong inside. Thats why im considering new vs drop tons of money into a bike im truely not satisfied with.

So enough rambling heres what I am looking at:

New plated 2010 ktm 450 xc-w for 7k

Gas Gas xc 250 for 7k

Do these prices seem fair? Any concerns with these choices?

Price wise I would prefer to stay under the $8k mark

The Gas Gas seems to be a bit high priced to me. That is a good deal on the KTM. The KTM will work well on single track and is street legal if that matters to you. From what I have read the 250 Gas Gas is somewhat pipey and could be a hand full but I have no personal experience on it.

I rode an 07 KX 450f on the trails before switching to the KTM 300. I liked the Kawi but the KTM is so much more managable in the technical terrain. It will tractor in the toughest terrain and still haul butt when asked to. Switching back to the 2-stroke was a good choice for me as I tend to ride a lot of technical single track.

CoKTM

I have heard the 250 2t are actually more of a handful and would really like a gg xc300 but cannot seem to locate one around here. I am a fan of 2t especially when it comes to maintaining them. But also like the fact that the ktm has a plate. Any hopes of plating the 2t with that new law in effect in WA?

Also is the maintenance on the ktm 450 xc-w typical for most 4t's?

The KTM 4-strokes are reliable when properly maintained. Top ends will easily go 100+ hours if oil is changed regularly, and the air filter is properly maintained. Valves need adjustment less than MX 450’s but still need to be watched.

CoKTM

I have heard the 250 2t are actually more of a handful and would really like a gg xc300 but cannot seem to locate one around here. I am a fan of 2t especially when it comes to maintaining them. But also like the fact that the ktm has a plate. Any hopes of plating the 2t with that new law in effect in WA?

I have also read that the Gas Gas 300’s do not pull down low like the KTM’s do but I also have never ridden one. One of the nice features about KTM 2-strokes is the adjustability of the power characteristics via powervalve springs, jetting, and ignition mapping. Gas Gas’s may be just as adjustable, or not!

CoKTM

Do the ktm xc-w 4t's have titanium or steel valves?

I believe they are Ti with a hard plating of some sort, but I am not sure. A little research on KTMTalk showed me that they last a long time with no issues as long as the bike is not ingesting dirt.

CoKTM