Sign in to follow this  

Too young for a CRF150F

I am curious as to the ages of you guys riding a 150...I bought my 10 yr old an 04 CRF150F. He is 5ft tall about 85lbs.The wife is spazzing saying its too big for him...

It is in stock form, dont plan to uncork it for at least a yr. or till he says it needs to go faster...

Anybody else have a son on the 150?? I don't think its too big...he will grow into it!!

Edited by CR_f

How tall are you? He's about to hit puberty, so he could shoot up like a rocket if his dad's tall.

I agree with you though. When I was a kid I had a mini bike (a real one, a Honda CT-70). I would have preferred to have a bike I grew into than a bike I grew out of.

I had an XR80 at 13 and grew out of that thing in about a week power wise. My girlfriend rides a CRF150 and it's her first bike ever. It also depends on your son's riding skills. If he's 10 and never ridden, a CRF70 might be the better bet to start out on.

When my daughter was 10 she rode my 150...

It's all about the skill set they have prior to the bike... She started on a 50 then a 70 then a clutch on an 80 and she was set...

I'm 6'4' and she started on it when she was 4'11"

she's shot up 5 inches in the last 4 months. Now she is 11 and 5'4"

At only 85 pounds, that bike is way too heavy for him, but have him ride it a bit, and see how it goes, thats the only way to find out if it'll work or not.

Yeah-- It's a heavy bike really. I'd grab up an XR80/100, let him ride it for a year, then sell it for the same as what you bought it for. After that-- he'd prolly be OK with the 150F. The thing is kinda hard to start too. --L*64

Thanks Guys..

@ MIKE: I am 6ft....He has a XR70 he has been riding for the last year...Our last outing at Walker Valley ORV he asked to sell the 70 and get a bigger bike with a clutch. He did out grow it in about 6 months though!

@ PROF: he has ridden my 125...(don't tell mom stuff) but i had to catch him and of course start it. He is getting better at kicking over the 150 and it seems to start first kick every time anyway

Thanks for all your advice....

It's a little bit of a hard question to answer. None of use have seen him on a bike. If he was a good rider on the 70 I would say yes if he can get his feet on the ground. The main thing is taking it real easy at first. The last thing you want to do is pressure him. I have a friend that did that to his son and his son didn't want to ride anymore. My daughter rode my 450 when she was about 12 to 13 years old. She had no fear at all and she was about 80 lbs. That was the last time I let her ride it. That's because she took off and the next thing I knew she was in 5th gear doing about 70 mph. Again she had no fear at all of going down.

My oldest son started riding a XR70 when he was 6 years old. He later moved up to a CRF150F when he was 9 years old. My son has always been tall for his age and the move to the 150 was no problem for him. I think if your son can at least touch the ground with his toes and you have a wide open area for him to ride he should be fine. He will grow into the 150 before you know it. I wouldn't rush in to having him ride tight trails too soon, let him have some time to get used to the weight of the bigger bike. Good luck. The 150 is a great bike for young riders.

@ OLD MAN - he was pretty good on his 70 but he was starting to look like Donkey Kong on a pocket bike. I agree with you. I will let him feel out the bike. He has taken a few spills on the 70...he has the proper gear and got up from most and dusted himself off. the 150 tops out at 55 so i am not too worried yet! Left you know next time he opens it up on the trails.

@JVA - that was my thinking...didn't want to buy a 100 only to turn around and sell that too to get a 150....He touches but I Am considering getting a lower link if i can find a cheap used one. My guess is he will only need it for 6-8 months the way this kid is growing out of his clothes.

Thanks for the advice guys...

WELL....that was the driving force to get him out of the 70...Walker valley has a few trails we ride regularly that have roots scattered through out..he would down shift the 70 to try and unload the front but he struggled to get over some of them. That's why he asked for a clutch since he noticed how easily i would pop the front over the roots. I plan to take it very slow and let him get comfortable with the bike before we hit any trails though..

If i could have found a CRF100 under $1000 i may have, but arounf here everyone want o sell thier used bikes as if teh were new! the worst part is that they ar pretty beat up too..The CRF was a one owner and in pretty good shape, so i jumped on it.

It's not about his age so much as his physical size. If he fits on it reasonably well and can touch the ground he'll be fine. Everybody has to learn on something, and that's about as mild-mannered and beginner-friendly a bike as you'll find.

And like has already been stated, at his age it's better to get a bike that he'll grow into over the next year or two rather than one he'll grow out of in six months.

Thanks CHOKEY..that was my idea too, but you know how MOM is. She swears I am out to kill the boy. I rode the 150 and i was very impressed. My boy loves it. I dont plant to get him a new bike for a while. He wil get a new one once he is ready for a 250...hoping he stays interested in the MX...

Thanks CHOKEY..that was my idea too, but you know how MOM is. She swears I am out to kill the boy. I rode the 150 and i was very impressed. My boy loves it. I dont plant to get him a new bike for a while. He wil get a new one once he is ready for a 250...hoping he stays interested in the MX...

Take her to a track and show her what he could be riding! A 150F is tame for his age and size compared to a 65-105 and 150R.

• Like 1