Sign in to follow this  

Recommend beginner dirt bike - 5'9, 150lb

Hi, first post on this forum!

I am a 31yo guy, 5'9 and 145lb with zero experience looking to get into dirt biking mainly on trails.

I was originally thinking about looking at something like a yz250f but on reading some posts here that will probably be too much bike for me. Now thinking something more like a 125 but I will defer to you guys who have a much better understanding on the topic.

Thanks in advance.

Being that you have zero experience and your pretty small guy as far as weight I'd go with a 250 4st but stay away from mx bikes. Get a offroad bike like a WR250 or CRF250X. Smoother power, softer suspension, electric start. In stock form they are very mild but can be hopped up.

Being that you have zero experience and your pretty small guy as far as weight I'd go with a 250 4st but stay away from mx bikes. Get a offroad bike like a WR250 or CRF250X. Smoother power, softer suspension, electric start. In stock form they are very mild but can be hopped up.

^^^^^What he said...:bonk:

Also, they are geared for the woods with a low first gear so you can putt around with less stalling. Once you get more experience and faster then you could go to a mx bike for offroad. I had a WR450 before my KX and loved it in the woods and rocks. In the tight stuff it was easier to ride because of the low first gear and the engine breaking. It was like a tractor but it would haul ass if you needed to. My KX has to be ridden faster and is a little tougher in the tight stuff but its made me a better rider because you can't be lazy on it.

The one advantage to a mx bike is the aftermarket availability. I never could find much for the WR.

If you mean you don't even know how to ride a motorcycle yet, I'd get something intended for such a rider:

Honda

CRF-150F

XR-200R

CRF-230F

Yamaha

TT-R125L

TT-R225

TT-R230

Sure, you will outgrow them, but that's part of learning how to ride. :bonk:

I was in your situation about 4 years about, and I got the CRF-230L which is the Dual Sport. You can take it in the woods, or you can ride it on the street to get used to riding a bike. The other nice thing it's a 4 stroke so the power is smooth.

I was in the same boat half a year ago, 31 years old, 5'9'' tall and weigh 150, i never been on any kind of motorcycle before, or even knew how to ride or shift or anything.

I bought myself a Honda CRF150F, and learned to ride, then sold that after 2 months and got a Honda CRF230F, and got even better at riding, i sold that after 2 months and got myself a Yamaha Dual Sport XT250, so i could ride the streets too, LOVE IT!

The Honda CRF230F will be perfect for your size and to learn how to ride on, dont get the CRF150F, as it will be too mall ( i know same body, lol), dont know how it is with street legal bikes over there in australia, but if you can, get yourself a Street legal Dual Sport dirt bike, so you can ride all the way from home to your off roading sport, you'll love it.

good luck, and take it easy at first, its easy to learn.

id say crf230f or ttr230 they are reliable and easy to learn on. They are also a lot cheaper to maintain and buy then the new 4 strokes. I don't think any of the new 4 strokes are good beginner bikes that includes the wr's and crfx's.

I would buy something used. Since you don't really know what you want, buy used and sell for about the same price you paid. After your first bike, you'll have a better idea of what you want.

Eventually, you'll probably end up with a modern 250 4 stroke. You could start there, but if you want to see if you like riding, pick up a used XR200 or CRF230. At your skill level, an older bike would be fine and you can get them for cheap.

Wow didn't expect do many responses in so little time.

I have ridden a road bike before but only very minimal riding as it was only to get my riding permit here in Australia.

Any love for the kdx200 on top of what has been recommended?

Will start looking for what has already been recommended. Thanks!

Edit: sorry I meant kdx!

Edited by Frb

I do not have experience with a KDX but I hear they are great. I would wait to hear what owners of that bike say. But I was 5'7" 125lbs and I got a CR125 and then another, I am 5'10" 135lbs now, but I ride mostly MX with a few trails, but I want to ride more trails which is why I want a CRF250X (I really only want it for the magic button). Good Luck

If you mean you don't even know how to ride a motorcycle yet, I'd get something intended for such a rider:

Honda

CRF-150F

XR-200R

CRF-230F

Yamaha

TT-R125L

TT-R225

TT-R230

Sure, you will outgrow them, but that's part of learning how to ride. :bonk:

I think this is about right, I would lean towards the 230s. I also agree that for the first go around something like a yz250f would be way too much.

Okay I've been doing a bit more reading through this forum and it seems that there is a lot of love for the KDX200 both as a beginner bike and as a bike that one could grow into.

I have found one in my local classifieds in Australia which is cheaper than the other recommended bikes I've been looking (ie TTR230 and CRF230) - but it is about 5 years older.

Is there any reason why I should not go for the KDX over one of the 230's?

Thanks!

Crf 250 - 150. Only way to go esp in Aus..