Sign in to follow this  

rm 100?

My little brother picked up a 1980ish rm 100 on friday for 75$, we were told it had seized from sitting so i figured pull the head and put some pb and/or marvels down the cylinder and it would free up, well it didnt, and the farther i got the piston down and saw the cylinder wall (which looked fine) the more i thought oh no it has a seized crank, so we pulled the jug sure enough it slid right off, the bottom end was rusted solid so with a little (or a lot) of pb blaster, some elbow grease and some diesel to rinse everything out we got it to free up and clean up pretty well, the bearings were surprisingly all good with no play so i gave it a good coating of oil, slapped it back together checked for spark, hopped on it and rolled down the road, it sputtered for the first 3 rolls down the hill but on the last one it finally started, i was so surprised but it ran pretty well for something that was seized solid the day before.

does anyone know how to tell what year it is?

is it worth keeping or should we resell it for a bigger bike?

any other opinions?

ill post a pic later today or maybe a video (shes ugly i dont think a picture will do her justice lol)

also there is a weird noise coming from the engine while its idling and before it started (probably above idle too but the exhaust is too loud to hear it) im not sure if its a suzuki thing or what but my pe 175 had the same noise its almost like a scraping sound

What ever year it is,it's going to need a top and bottom end.

Plan on at least 300.00 to bring it back to life.

What ever year it is,it's going to need a top and bottom end.

Plan on at least 300.00 to bring it back to life.

it runs... and has no play in the crank or rod the piston is in alright shape, and has good clearance in the cylinder, the rings were a little stuck at first but i think they freed them selves up, the cylinder wall has no scratches in it, it has compression and no air leaks too

it runs... and has no play in the crank or rod the piston is in alright shape, and has good clearance in the cylinder, the rings were a little stuck at first but i think they freed them selves up, the cylinder wall has no scratches in it, it has compression and no air leaks too

Again....it was rusted up and seized.It might make a few rides,but in the end will need a new crank and maybe a top end. The damage is done,it can only get worse. Iv'e seen this many many times working on bikes for the past 30 some years.

That noise you hear is probly growling main bearings..

Again....it was rusted up and seized.It might make a few rides,but in the end will need a new crank and maybe a top end. The damage is done,it can only get worse. Iv'e seen this many many times working on bikes for the past 30 some years.

That noise you hear is probly growling main bearings..

+1 on that :bonk:

For $75 ride until it blows up and then part it out. Not worth repairing it. Keep it as a spare for a buddy to go ride :bonk:. Great deal at $75