Sign in to follow this  

2002 yz 125 having problems hitting the powerband

I have cleane the carb and narrowed it down to three possible things. The reeds, the power valves, or there is a check valve for some reason between the tank and the carb.

I flipped the reeds, which are carbon fiber and in fairly good shape.

I haven't looked at the power valves yet.

Or the other possibility is the check valve is preventing the bike from getting enough fuel at wide open throttle.

Any ideas?

Pull the exhaust and make sure the rings look good with a flashlight. My buddies ran with no power with a nicked ring.

There is no fuel check valve but maybe a clogged filter. Take off the petcock and it's on top.

No trust me someone installed a chek valve for some reason in the fuel line. I think it's impending flow, possibly making the engine run too lean, and I don't want to damage the top end.

I need to remove it first and foremost.

Mine did that when the power valve was gummed up. you could pull the overflow hose and blast some WD40 in there to see if it frees it up a little. I used to pull the powervalve cover on my 02' about twice a year and flush it with WD40.

Also check that the carb vent hoses aren't plugged at the shock spring, that will do strange things for sure.