Sign in to follow this  

Ridn mexico

Heading to the Mayan riviaria and wanted to rent a bike! Has anyone done this there ? Been there it looks safe.

TTdog, look at the US state dept site and you can register so you will have access to the US Embassy support. There is also a good link to information about the country etc.

Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) - U.S. Department of State

The Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) is a free service provided by the

U.S. Government to U.S. citizens who are traveling to, or living in, a foreign ...

https://travelregistration.state.gov/

Bill

Mexico scares me. I am sure the trip will be fine, but my job exposes me to a lot of the drug violence and it is spread over certain regions. But TN is right...absolutely right. Check out the state department website, find your local embassy and know the location of certain places ahead of time...hospitals, police and emergency services. Create your own personal force protection plan...the military guys know what i am talking about. Here are some basic tips

1. Use the buddy system. In some places, DOD requires a minimum of two and in some places a minimum of three.

2. If DOS says the area should be avoided or it has high crime, avoid it. There is a reason whythey give those warnings.

3. Pre-plan your route and ensure someone back home knows it or ford it to the embassy. Do not deviate from it.

4. Make nothing a habit on your trip. Even something as simple as always going 100 miles and stopping for gas is a pattern.

5. like i said above, know the location of emergency services before hand.

If you are interested, send me a PM and i can get more info from work. I dont want to scare you from not doing it because international travel can be safe and a ton of fun. Just be prepared about it.:bonk:

Are you going to be in Cancun, Playa del Carmen, or somewhere else?

I've rented cars in Mexico and a motorcycle once. You need to understand that the driving rules are a bit different there. I asked a taxi driver about traffic law enforcement, and he said that they weren't "real strict" about the rules. Still, they seem to all get by with very few traffic accidents.

A motorcycle in that area would be a good way to see things, but it's rather spread out. If you're planning to go to Chichenitza, you might be better off taking a tour bus. The fees on the toll roads are high enough that it costs about the same. I don't know if motorcycles have a lower fee, though.

On a separate note, I'm wondering if the other responses to this thread kept in mind that you're from Ontario. Does the U.S. state department help out Canadians?

Outside of routine tourist scams that have existed since forever, the Cancun/Cozumel area has been quiet and safe.

As for as the US State Dept or the Canadian Govt providing you any help, don't expect any. You are a guest in a foreign country. You are subject to their laws and your government cannot do much of anything.

I just got back from there yesterday.... All is safe and life is going on there. I would not hesitate to rent a bike and ride all over. FYI... Helmets are required and the rentals are the scariest thing in Mexico to me:smirk:. Take your own or stop by a moped shop and buy one. FYI... I have ridden Mexico over 60 times, logged over 50k miles and have actually ridden to Cancun, so I speak with some experience. The traffic is crazy there, so be careful!

There is a Harley rental place in Playa Del Carmen.... Not sure of the name, but I saw it yesterday. It's on the main road from Cancun and there is a large sign. The place is on the West side of the road about midway or a little south of town.

On a separate note, I'm wondering if the other responses to this thread kept in mind that you're from Ontario. Does the U.S. state department help out Canadians?

Good catch.:smirk:

The US state department has general info for travelers that anyone can use. But the Canadian equivelant can provide info about their embassy. The process should be the same.