Sign in to follow this  

Best filter for me?

I ride in an area with mainly pretty hard pack dirt and some mud to splash though but nothing too deep. Almost just as often though I ride about 50 miles from my house where there is a large amount of sand and dust. Yesterday I ran with my bare K&N filter though some wet sand and lets just say it plugged my filter and they crumpled from the suction of the engine. I had some cleaning to do in the intake system aslo :smirk::banana:. I was looking at another k&N filter since I am so perfectly jetted for it and my pipe, but I don't want the same thing to happen again. I heard of using a K&N Outerwear filter cover and it sounds like it would protect from the dry stuff but I was also looking at a Snowcharger pre filter that protects from water but also some dryer muddy stuff. The snowcharger is for a Snowmobile but I think it might fit my purpose. See, I no longer have an airbox and with my pipe it won't fit anyway so I was looking for a reccomendation on a good clamp on filter setup by any brand that I could use for my terrain. I don't want to toss out the $600 pipes in favor of a restrictive airbox :bonk:

Put your airbox back on and use a new OEM filter. Otherwise, you'll be overhauling your engine prematurely.

Put your airbox back on and use a new OEM filter. Otherwise, you'll be overhauling your engine prematurely.

Like I said, I don't have the stock airbox and I cannot put it on with my exhaust pipe, and I am not giving up the pipe and performance for a restrictive airbox :bonk:

I wouldn't run a k&n filter without a outerwear personally. You reduce your filter life to much.

I have trx250r I run without a air box. I just run a k&n with outerwear on it. But that is a sand setup. If your in lots of dust uni makes a foam cover some k&n filters, but if your riding through lots of puddles and water you will always have problems without a airbox.

Let's look at the facts, you say an airbox is restrictive, how restrictive is that K&N once it is dirty if it will crush itself trying to get air through?

And K&N's allow fine dust through, a well oiled foam is more effective.

I bought 2 oilable foam Uni clamp on shorties. Oiled em up and their on the Banshee. I'll try pop starting it tomorrow....

K&N filters suck for off road. Seeing that you had to clean dirt out of the intake, you've already done damage. If you haven't changed the oil since that event, do it immediately.

Good move going the UNI's. They are very good but don't clean them with No Toil cleaner as it will dissolve the glue. I have 4 UNI's and have been cleaning them with diesel for 3 years now and they are still in perfect condition. Just a little blue from the Belray oil.

K&N filters suck for off road. Seeing that you had to clean dirt out of the intake, you've already done damage. If you haven't changed the oil since that event, do it immediately.

Good move going the UNI's. They are very good but don't clean them with No Toil cleaner as it will dissolve the glue. I have 4 UNI's and have been cleaning them with diesel for 3 years now and they are still in perfect condition. Just a little blue from the Belray oil.

I cleaned the intake but it was pretty much spotless. couple small pieces of dirt but the cylinders were perfect. Reeds were clean. Its a 2 stroke Banshee so the crank case and the gear case are seperate, so I don't have to change the gear oil since its not used in the crank area. Of course, I am changing the oil anyway though, just for good measure

There is a reason K&N's flow more air. It's because they don't filter as well. You sound like you are really against so called "performance loss" by running something different then your K&N but how much "performance loss" are you going to be losing when your engine blows because the filter let all sorts of crap in your motor?

As stated before, use a well oiled foam filter and they come in a variety of shapes/sizes that will work with a modded air intake or clamp right onto the carb.

There is a reason K&N's flow more air. It's because they don't filter as well. You sound like you are really against so called "performance loss" by running something different then your K&N but how much "performance loss" are you going to be losing when your engine blows because the filter let all sorts of crap in your motor?

As stated before, use a well oiled foam filter and they come in a variety of shapes/sizes that will work with a modded air intake or clamp right onto the carb.

Well, looks like someone likes making assumptions and not reading the entire thread :smirk:. If you bothered to read, I went and picked up a set of Uni Foam Pods and oil and they are on my banshee now. Anyway, I said I HAD NO WAY POSSIBLE to install a stock airbox because my Shearer in frame pipes run IN FRAME. Therefor, I cannot put the airbox on the quad :bonk:. Your talking to me like I'm stupid and obviously didn't read my other posts in the thread. I was looking for reccomendations, not a speech from the guy who knows everything before he reads the rest of the thread.

Well, looks like someone likes making assumptions and not reading the entire thread :smirk:. If you bothered to read, I went and picked up a set of Uni Foam Pods and oil and they are on my banshee now. Anyway, I said I HAD NO WAY POSSIBLE to install a stock airbox because my Shearer in frame pipes run IN FRAME. Therefor, I cannot put the airbox on the quad :bonk:. Your talking to me like I'm stupid and obviously didn't read my other posts in the thread. I was looking for reccomendations, not a speech from the guy who knows everything before he reads the rest of the thread.

Easy there buddy. Take a breath.... Feel better?

I ran uni pod filters on a set of pj34s. They did me good though I don't know if performance was better or worse thank a k&n would have been. I can't imagine flow was a problem though as they were huge for feeding a 175 cylinder each. Within the constrains of an air box I'm sure the material matters a lot. As a pod filter in open air, you can just go bigger with a better filtering material to get the best of both worlds.