Sign in to follow this  

96 xr250r exhaust question

I started breaking down the bike to clean it up, replace fork seals, etc. I noticed some cracks along the bottom of the exhaust pipe. Appears to be along a seam. Is this something that can be repaired by welding or should I replace it? Thanks for any info.

exhaust.jpg

Looking at the pic of your can, I'd say it's most likely rusted through the full length of the seam, and also in other areas of the can (see lower right corner of the pic). Options here are to try and grind out all the rust inside and out, fill the areas with a welder, and put a good hi-temp bbq paint, or replace the can with another OEM or aftermarket pipe.

Thanks for the response. Thats pretty much what I thought. I am pretty new to the whole Dirt bike scene. Mostly use the bike for zipping around town. Any thoughts on the FMF power core exhausts? Seem to be a pretty cheap alternative. Thx

Powercore 4 from what I've read doesn't add much but louder than stock, but cheapest, T4 from Pro Circuit adds more powa but higher cost, but also very good quality and SS, FMF Q is okay and quiet, best is a SuperTrapp with tuneable discs plus still quiet, the IDSE version being the better of the Suppertrapp lineup for XR's.

Performance wise, a toss-up between stock and Supertrapp, T4 coming in second IMO.