Sign in to follow this  

About done CRFYZ Hybrid

All I lack is putting on a new gasket to the water pump cover and the hose then I can add the coolant and try her out. Hopefully tomorrow I can dig up some yard. I'm sure there will be some little issues but hopefully nothing too serious. It feels good as it started out as an AF500 but the kick mechanism broke out the inner right case and primary case on the second attempt to ride it. This is close to a year later. I love the power delivery of YZ motors plus I have some extra stuff for them like a 285 jug and some pipes to name a few. This is an 04 CRF250 chassis with a set of Ohlins forks, 01 YZ250 motor, Rad Valve, milled head and a rare aluminum expansion chamber. Planning on a black seat eventually and a red ASV clutch assy. I'll get a video of the maiden ride.

Craigus

cryz2.jpg

cryz1-2.jpg

• Like 2

Hope this link works. Had camera issues so this is about the fourth ride around the back yard. I almost looped it the first ride but the Go PRo didn't have the SD card in it then the batteries went out. Got to try to get it off the camera as it felt pretty good. It pulls like I'd expected but with the aluminum chamber, cut up airbox along with the Rad Valve that I cut and angled to clear the shock spring. I'll play with the jetting and we'll see how it roosts.

Craigus

Camera, and bike look great. I still cannot get over how "stock" your conversions look. Even though none of them have been even close to a stock bike.

Thanks for the kudos guys. The chamber I found on eBay and it's from around 2000. I have an ad from MXA with a hottie in bikini holding one. I used to ride Hondas till I got the 01 and just dig the YZ engine characteristics, but there's something about how a CR corners hence the swap. It's helpful on the conversions to have a TIG welder in the garage and a couple of machinist buddies and of course the water jet dude who fabricate things that pose problems when I'm in a build. I'm planning to get an e-line carbon pipe guard that'll protect the header on that aluminum chamber as rocks grow wild here in upper Alabama. I have an Aprilia SXV550 that I hear WILL blow up eventually, so I'm saving a sweet RZ350 engine for that fateful day and I'll post it.

Craigus

Craigus, speaking of pipes. Did you have to do much to make the yz pipe fit the crf frame?

I wish you were my neighbor. I can see myself leaving spare engines and frames in your driveway......

It's actually a CR250 pipe but I had a header piece machined at work to mimick the YZ female with the o-ring grooves and a little pipe extension. I mounted the pieces and mitered them both till it was a nice fit and tacked it with my DC TIG machine and took it to work to weld on a new Miller Dynasty on AC. I actually rode it without the o-rings in it as I'd forgot them. Didn't want to burn them up when I welded the header end. If you ever run into any welding issues give me a PM as I like helping rellow riders.

Craigus

Excellent work! That is a very cool bike. Thanks for posting the video and pictures.

Awesome! Looks great! Let us know how it handles compared to the YZ chasis.

I used to ride Hondas till I got the 01 and just dig the YZ engine characteristics...

My experience was the same. I rode the 1999 YZ250 back to back with my 1998 Honda. The 99 and later YZ just has excellent delivery compared to it's rivals. After I sold the CR my next bike was the 2002 YZ.

Rode it around more today and made adjustments to the carb along with tightening up some loose things. It pulls real good and other than a half worn Pirelli front tire it's pretty cool. Also got a black seat for it. Planning to fab some aluminum covers for the air box when I get back to work and she really needs a guard for the header pipe.

Craigus

stroke3.jpg

CaveMike once see hybrid of sabre tooth tiger and wolly mammoth. Him try kill it for eat but not successful. Hybrid bike be much better looking. If CaveMike see in person him probably try set snare, take bike for self. Him like.

CaveMike once see hybrid of sabre tooth tiger and wolly mammoth. Him try kill it for eat but not successful. Hybrid bike be much better looking. If CaveMike see in person him probably try set snare, take bike for self. Him like.

:bonk::lol::lol::lol::smirk::lol::lol: