Sign in to follow this  

KLX 300 tie rod/bone dimensions?

Hey guys. Nice place you got here. Lots of good info...

I bought a KLX 300 with lowering links installed. I don't know the brand of the lowering links. I've found that some links have a range of 0"-X" lower than stock. I'm unsure of the range of links on this bike. I've got them retracted all the way and it seems the kickstand is a little too long still. I'm assuming it's because it's sitting lower than stock.

I'm trying to find out if I'll gain any height by buying stock tie rods.

I'm hoping someone will help me out and measure their tie rod mounting bolts center to center.

Thanks!

Edited by straightup

there are 2 sizes of lowering links. 1" and 2 " . most common are 1" . yes you will gain height with the stock links. also check your rear spring sag. most people that add a lowering link soften the spring. You can gain some height by setting the spring to a firmer position. :bonk:

This lowering link is adjustable. It looks a lot like Soupy's adjustable links.

I checked the sag, and it seems fine where it's at. Although the spring seems too soft when riding.

It seems like the best thing to do is to get a pair of stock bones and a racetech spring for my weight at start from there.

You do not mention what your riding type will be as you redo the bike. Getting your geometry back to stock is probably a good thing to do and installing the proper spring for your weight would be a definite plus. If you intend to push it very much you will also probably want to have the shock internals redone. Additionally if you do not then turn your attention to the front your bike will be out of balance.

You do not mention what your riding type will be as you redo the bike. Getting your geometry back to stock is probably a good thing to do and installing the proper spring for your weight would be a definite plus. If you intend to push it very much you will also probably want to have the shock internals redone. Additionally if you do not then turn your attention to the front your bike will be out of balance.

I'll be cow trailin', desert cruisin', and woods bummin'. No racing and big jumps for me.

A local suspension shop mechanic thinks just a new spring and propper links should be fine for me. He says he does a lot of gold valves or could rebuild the stock valve, but seems to think I might not notice the difference given my abilities and intentions?

You obviously know best in what you want to do and how much you want to spend. Getting it pretty much in stock form will give you a baseline for any changes you may want to make in the future. Any way good luck and have fun.