Sign in to follow this  

A new KLX 300 exhaust

Happy New Year Everyone!. I was at a friends yesterday afternoon, and I noticed he had a 2004 crf250 r full exhaust on a shelf. I just kept looking at the exhaust and wondered...I asked what he would take for it. I gave him thirty bucks and left. I got home cleaned it up with steel wool, took off the side plate and held it up to the factory klx exhaust. The following pics is what happened in about 30 minutes. All you need is a piece of 304 stainless 1 1/2 od, 4 inches long. Its a super cheap fmf!!!! It sounds great and is spark arrested, and can be repacked. My guess is that it saved apprx 5 or 6 pounds also. Yes I know its dented but the side plate covers it. Check out the header also, with maybe one or two cuts and a tig weld or two, it should bolt on. The head pipe matches the diameter of the klx head perfectly. I may have to make a new flange to bolt it up. try it guys you will like it. http://s1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc405/bikerman32158/ UPDATE...... I think Ill flare the short piece of pipe to match the honda silencer... a few pics of me trying it out in the woods behind the house.

Edited by bikerman32158

I have a Jardine silencer on my 351, and it actually broke the rear frame mount. I rewelded the frame mount and fabricated a SStl mount so the midpipe could use the stock mid mount.

I made a small bracket from the hole in the honda mid pipe to the factory klx pipe mount. ( the one right above the side plate bolt.) this pipe is not moving. as light as the muffler is, i doubt it would have been a problem , but i just did it to make sure.:smirk: How did it break the rear bracket???

Edited by bikerman32158

The whole exhaust was only mounted at the cylinder head and rear frame mount. The aluminum mount on the exhaust can is pretty stout, so the threaded part of the steel frame mount actually came out.

Yes, it just bolted on. I also made a small mount and mounted it to the honda mid pipe mount and the klx exhaust mount . its real easy . Ill put a pic of the mount i made on here today. There is other ways to make the mount,( put one around the sub frame, and mount it to pipe), I just didnt do it. When I bought this exhaust , what i really wanted was the muffler (s) off a dual set up on a crf250r. Either side can be made to work. They just want to much money for them. I have a piece of tubing bent for the dual muffler and ready to install, but dont have a muffler ... yet. it may save another pound or two. My bet is it will be alot louder though. My bike now, is quiet at idle , but its louder and throatier than stock klx without plug, and at higher revs it sings. Its just not offensive. it does sound better and runs better. Seat of pants tells me theres more power.

Edited by bikerman32158