Sign in to follow this  

TTR125 now @250?

Hello, considering buying a ttr125 which doesn't run, likely current owner or buddies blew up the top end or other catrasophic event otherwise pretty clean. Won't turn over so figured timing chain valves or worse. Was thinking with all the big bore kits and $$$ why not put a TTR250 engine on it from the same year 2003, has anyone tried that ? will it bolt into place? Thanks Happy New year !

Has any one done it? I doubt it. Can it be done? The short answer is "with enough time and money, nothing is impossible".

I was going to try putting a 250 into a 225 frame which will be less work but far from straight forward, but I tend to get involved in too many projects at once and thus haven't even gotten to collecting parts.

If you can get it for real cheap, it might be worth fixing. However, the 125 4T motors in running condition go for about $500-600 on ebay. As far as fixing the existing motor, it depends on what exactly is wrong with the current motor.

Well I’m guessing or more accurately expecting to pay 175-300 for the blown TTR125 it looks good in photos. I shall look at it in person soon, and yes after looking at rebuild parts and used motors on ebay 300-400 it seemed like a decent purchase. Of course the lower end ($$) purchase and the better running motor (luck)would bring all smiles. However seeing a few 250 motors for sale for the same money (as the 125s)made me think what not a 250 stuffed in there. I looked at a few websites with big bore kits, cams, pipes etc for the 125,,,so the question is do the engine mounts and other dimensions make this feasible without building a whole new world...I have a KTM450 for me to ride and this build will be for my daughter who now rides a XR80, so me being a little more on the eccentric side I guess trying to build something I really don't need, however why not build it??? I see alot of people hopping up XR80's and the like, figured try another path, thought more people would have responded on this, it being a holiday and first day of the post maybe some other Frankenstein builders just haven't stumbled onto this post yet.

Edited by Gazzar

Paying $150? I'd try it, $300 no way. TT-R125s are simply not worth the effort even in pristine condition they sell for maybe $800 and not this time of year. IMHO, as far as frankenbikes go, DR-Z125s are a better foundation than TT-R even though there are more aftermarket suppliers for TT-R stuff.

you guys have it good with usa ebay things are so cheep, iam upto $4000 aussy dollars ive got a ttr230 09 power core 4 muffler going to carb mods next week, i was looking for a bike drz/ttr blown to put a big cc engine in but even blown bike are a couple of thousand $

Wow. Might be worth the effort to look into having one crated and shipped. I'd definitely have a friend state side check it out and box it up if I were you though. Last I checked, US dollars are WORTHLESS, ahem, excuse me, worth less than AU$.

Good luck

Guys ,

We are drifting away from the subject; can a TTR250 bolt into a TTR125 of the same year? Now I agree with boxing up stuff and sending off to those paying through the nose. I had purchased a racing engine for a car a few years ago from New Zealand; pricing was fair and at the time got a even better discount with the exchange rate. The biggest problem comes when you paying more for shipping then the product cost. The less expensive shipping companies take the longest time. You might lose interest by the time you get something that had to come by ship. And using companies like FedEx get it there quick but cost so much, beside the paperwork is a bit of a hassle you have to go to the receiving dock and pay taxes or fees or whatever your country demands, and the dock agents. If you develop a good relationship and do it on a regular basis it might be $$$ worth the effort however I feel it's better done with rare and absolute must have items... Now back to the 250 Frankenstein, Please !

Guys ,

We are drifting away from the subject; can a TTR250 bolt into a TTR125 of the same year?

No. I don't mean to sound smart, but if you have to ask this question, do not even try.

Now I agree with boxing up stuff and sending off to those paying through the nose. I had purchased a racing engine for a car a few years ago from New Zealand; pricing was fair and at the time got a even better discount with the exchange rate. The biggest problem comes when you paying more for shipping then the product cost. The less expensive shipping companies take the longest time. You might lose interest by the time you get something that had to come by ship. And using companies like FedEx get it there quick but cost so much, beside the paperwork is a bit of a hassle you have to go to the receiving dock and pay taxes or fees or whatever your country demands, and the dock agents. If you develop a good relationship and do it on a regular basis it might be $$$ worth the effort however I feel it's better done with rare and absolute must have items... Now back to the 250 Frankenstein, Please !
Yes, paperwork is a big pain, just getting stuff from the US to Mexico or Canada is a pain.