Sign in to follow this  

Brake Pin Fell Out! (Common or Sabotage?)

I got back from riding my 2000 200EXC yesterday. Ran great. After I washed the bike, I tried to push it and it would not move. Then, a front brake pad fell out. The pad-retaining pin was catching on a spoke, keeping the bike from moving.

Glad it didn't happen while riding - or maybe it did - the inside end (head) of the pin was sheared off, and one slightly-bent spoke. Both cotter pins were missing. Not something I usually check every ride (but will from now on). Not neglected - the pads are fairy new, and I changed the pins last time too.

Checked the rear - one of those cotter pins was missing!

Do these cotter pins fall out a lot, or did someone sabotage me?

Common to come out. Thick grass will pull them out.

I suggest safety wire instead of cotter pin. Don't go crazy with it. They're some other techniques others will chime in and tell you. All are a little better than the pin.

I simply use safety wire in the place of one retaining clip. Works well. I double up the wire. Sorry for the dirt, haven't cleaned that part yet, but getting ready to!

frontbrakepin.jpg

Edited by gmoss

That is some sweet safety wiring you got there! I just loop the safety wire around the open end of the elusive clip and twist it up. Same effect, different method. Good Luck

happened to me while riding, i even lost my pads! i always check now. a zip tie works amazing as a temporary brake pin fyi:ride:

I simply use safety wire in the place of one retaining clip. Works well. I double up the wire. Sorry for the dirt, haven't cleaned that part yet, but getting ready to!

frontbrakepin.jpg

I've safety wired those pin clips as well. However, I don't run the wire around the pin inside the caliper because I want the pads to be free to "float" on the pin.

Like CrossEDup, I safety wire the clips to the caliper. I would include a picture, but I don't have a Photo bucket acct. I'm sure that you can figure it out.

I've safety wired those pin clips as well. However, I don't run the wire around the pin inside the caliper because I want the pads to be free to "float" on the pin.

post a pic. I haven't had any issues and just copied what I have seen posted on ktmtalk.

the picture is deceiving, the pads do not touch the safety wire. How much "floating" do you think happens in dirty conditions like that in the pic? haha

I recently changed out my brake pads and found that one of the front pin clips was missing. Glad I caught it before I lost the other one. I'll be doing the safety wire trick now as well.