Sign in to follow this  

How do you guys apply your Belray to air filter?

iv'e always used spray oil. just picked up a pint of belray but its in a pour bottle. any advice on how to get an even coating on my air filter? seems kind of thick to put in a spray bottle.

Put your filter in a gallon sized zip lock bag, pour in some oil, seal the bag and work the oil into the filter. Add oil if necessary.

cool thanks. guess im going to grocery store for zip locks before my ride.

1.)Take the filter in one hand (put you hand inside the filter)

2.)Take bottle in other

3.)Place filter on of bottle and turn bottle and filter upside down for a quick second

4.)Turn filter and oil back upright, the filter should have a bingo dabber looking dot on it

5.)Rotate filter about a 1-2inchs and repeat steps 3 and 4

6.)Work you way around filter in spiral until you have gone completely around filter to the top trying to keep the dots away from eachother by about a 1" or so

7.)Filter will be polka-dot looking, after done dabbing, grap said filter and squeeze with hands lathering filter all around until oil is evenly distribited

*Duration and amount of dabs will be determined over time with practice*

*Use gloves if you dont want oil on your hands*

I put the filter over my left hand, then dribble filter oil all over the filter. I put more on than needed, then work it in so it's evenly saturated, then wring out as much as I can squeeze out. Then install the filter cage, grease the mating surface area (Bel-Ray waterproof), then install into bike. The Maxima filter oil I use is very runny and thin until it tacks up

I mix the bel ray 1:1 with 40 weight motor oil, and apply with a little sqeeze bottle. It goes on much easier than straight bel ray, and still is way tacky enough to stop all dirt (I've tested the mix thoroughly). We clean a lot of air filters, so there is quite a cost savings as well.

I like using a big container with a lid that you can pour the oil into then dunk the filter into fully. When its complety saturated start squeezin oil out but DON'T wring or tear ur filter. Then cover ur oil container again and it stays clean.

1.)Take the filter in one hand (put you hand inside the filter)

2.)Take bottle in other

3.)Place filter on of bottle and turn bottle and filter upside down for a quick second

4.)Turn filter and oil back upright, the filter should have a bingo dabber looking dot on it

5.)Rotate filter about a 1-2inchs and repeat steps 3 and 4

6.)Work you way around filter in spiral until you have gone completely around filter to the top trying to keep the dots away from eachother by about a 1" or so

7.)Filter will be polka-dot looking, after done dabbing, grap said filter and squeeze with hands lathering filter all around until oil is evenly distribited

*Duration and amount of dabs will be determined over time with practice*

*Use gloves if you dont want oil on your hands*

+ 1. Been doing it that way for 30+ years

I like using a big container with a lid that you can pour the oil into then dunk the filter into fully. When its complety saturated start squeezin oil out but DON'T wring or tear ur filter. Then cover ur oil container again and it stays clean.

That's the way to do it!

I put the oil in a ketchup bottle or similar and put on some thick rubber gloves and squeeze plenty of oil onto the filter and massage it into the filter.

hold filter in left hand, openingup. Pour in oi. lProbably an ounce or so. Slosh oil around til entire inside of filter is blue (may have to add oil. Squeeze filter until oil is evenly distributed throughout filter. Blot out excess with paper towels. Try not to touch anything else in the process.

thanks everyone for the advice. damn stuff is seriously sticky. hard to imagine air can still pass through the filter. bike ran great though.

There are a multitude of techniques to apply the oil, but just remember that it's better to over-oil the filter, than under-oil the filter. Total saturation of every pore of the filter is essential to maximize engine life. With an over-oiled filter, squeeze out the excess oil into a bucket or garbage can, then use 4-5 paper towels to blot out the remaining excess oil.

BTW, Bel Ray is one of the very best heavy duty filter oils available, but it is more difficult to work into the filter because it is so viscous. Maxima FFT is as good as Bel Ray but it's slightly easier to work with and it's also about 30% less expensive.

• Like 1

this :bonk:

instead of ripping the tin foil seal off of the bottle put a small hole in it, dribble it all over the filter then work it in with rubber gloves, the bag technique wastes oil and bags and usually over oils the filter leaving goobers in your airbox

There are a multitude of techniques to apply the oil, but just remember that it's better to over-oil the filter, than under-oil the filter. Total saturation of every pore of the filter is essential to maximize engine life. With an over-oiled filter, squeeze out the excess oil into a bucket or garbage can, then use 4-5 paper towels to blot out the remaining excess oil.

BTW, Bel Ray is one of the very best heavy duty filter oils available, but it is more difficult to work into the filter because it is so viscous. Maxima FFT is as good as Bel Ray but it's slightly easier to work with and it's also about 30% less expensive.

:bonk:

+1 on this. I totally agree with the entire post. :smirk::bonk:

Thank you for that tidbit. i would have been guilty of probably not using enough thinking it would have been too thick and would hinder air flow.

Same here. It works great. No mess and no wasted oil. I keep a 100 count box of nitrile gloves from Harbor Freight around just for that job.