Sign in to follow this  

head swap

Bolts on no problem... be sure to use the cam and sprocket from the XR100 in the 80 head though (you 'could' use the 80 cam; the 100 has better specs.).

You can't directly use a 100 jug on an 80 bottom end; can't directly use an 80 jug on a 100 bottom end.

Am I imagining things or do I recall reading a post by Gman sayin the heads had the same chamber volume? And that the 80 valves were slightly smaller?

Am I imagining things or do I recall reading a post by Gman sayin the heads had the same chamber volume? And that the 80 valves were slightly smaller?

I also recall reading about variances between the two, but as a bolt on not an issue (IMO - not that it is worth a heap). There is a slight difference in the cam, but altogether nominal. If I recall the 80 head has longer/shorter runners, but chamber cc's are the same.

Got it tgeather and the cam chain is giving me fits....seems too long W/ the 80 sprocket and too short W/ the 100 sprocket.Has anyone actually done this ??

Did you back off the lower timing chain slack adjuster? If not, locate it at the bottom of the cylinder on the left side. Loosen the nut, then loosen the screw. Also loosen off the 'fine adjustment at the cylinder head. This will provide you with enough chain slack to use the 100 camshaft sprocket.

Do not attempt to use the XR80 camshaft sprocket.

Yes theraymondguy , I actually ," too many buds" had the bottom half of the chain guide out of the slot,thus the overtight cam chain.It's all t'geather now and I hope to get it going T/morrow.Thanks so much for the input !! :smirk:)