Sign in to follow this  

POST your 2011 250f FAILURES

Let's see how good or bad this bike is.

HOURS

USE(racing, weekend track days, woods, desert, enduro....)

MODIFICATIONS

FAILURES

Maintenance habbit.

We have 2 , 2011 KX250's . both have around 40 hours and no problems.

Only thing that one of them needed was the intake valves needed shimmed as they got tight but have been great since.

Both bikes are raced hardcore by my 2 boys for MX and have been great. I change oil every 2 hours and do air filters constantly.

Looking to trade one and sell one and get 2012's now.

HOURS 190

USE(racing, weekend track days, woods, desert, enduro....) woods

MODIFICATIONS hot cams

FAILURES none

Maintenance habit. change oil every 12 hours with car oil

Bought it at 69 hours. Logged 120 hours. Sold it the other day. Completely trouble free but it was a YZ250F. :bonk:

HOURS:34

USE:racing, weekend track days

MODIFICATIONS: re-mapped,suspension

FAILURES: only the dreaded TPS sensor

Maintenance habbit: oil every 5 hrs(Rottella sythetic 1000ml) airfilters every other ride or so

Been a great bike........

HOURS: 70

USE: Woods Racing, top of the box

MODIFICATIONS: Too many to list. Big bore 300, Copper seats, Xceldyne vlalves, big rads, Core EXP, Bazzaz and AFM w/ O2 sensor, etc etc

FAILURES: Valves only made it to 70 hours.

Maintenance habbit: Air filter EVERY ride, oil every 3 to 4 hrs (magnet at oil filter and drain plugs always).

We have 2 11's

Hours: 65

Use: Raced in desert pro class, ridden a lot at the track.

Mods: None.

Failures: on this one, none.

Maintenance: every 2 rides, air filter every ride.

Other KX

Hours: 110

Use: Raced in desert expert class, ridden a lot at the track.

Mods: None

Failures: Bike lost compression at 70 hours. Just needed rings and piston.

Maintenance: Oil every 2 rides and filters every ride.

Hours: 43

Use: MX (Racing and practice) rare trail riding

Mods: remapped

Failures: None

Maint: Oil every 6 hours (Mobil 1 full synthetic), air filter every 2 rides/every race

Bike has been great. Totally stock. Putting a piston in it and adjusting the valves (if needed) this month.

HOURS - 49

USE - Motocross

MODIFICATIONS - MB1 suspension, DRD exhaust

FAILURES - None

Maintenance habit. - Oil every 7 hrs, filter every 14. Air filter every ride. Everything cleaned and basic dis-assembly/reassembly, checks after every ride.

HOURS: haven't looked lately.. but around 50-60hrs

USE: Racing and weekend track days

MODIFICATIONS: re-map, full exhaust, suspension

FAILURES: ROD failure resulting in catastrophic repairs. I.e. only parts reused was transmission, head, valve buckets, & cams. Multiple sets of clutches, and a weird hot start issue [seems to be resolved after several electrical components replaced at LLs]

Maintenance habit: Oil change after each and every ride. Piston change at 30~hrs then massive failure @ 32.5hrs.. Motor will be rebuilt again before next season. Sending crank with rod failure off to falicon for rebuild with knife rod and balancing. Will be replacing piston also.. Probably going to put in a custom CP piston. Transmission will be shipped off for Isotropic finishing. Might have the head ported also.. Depends on funds I suppose I don't trust the stock crank that I had to run at LLs so it's getting the boot.. Anyone want to buy an OEM crank that has ~10-20hrs on it?

HOURS: haven't looked lately.. but around 50-60hrs

USE: Racing and weekend track days

MODIFICATIONS: re-map, full exhaust, suspension

FAILURES: ROD failure resulting in catastrophic repairs. I.e. only parts reused was transmission, head, valve buckets, & cams. Multiple sets of clutches, and a weird hot start issue [seems to be resolved after several electrical components replaced at LLs]

Maintenance habit: Oil change after each and every ride. Piston change at 30~hrs then massive failure @ 32.5hrs.. Motor will be rebuilt again before next season. Sending crank with rod failure off to falicon for rebuild with knife rod and balancing. Will be replacing piston also.. Probably going to put in a custom CP piston. Transmission will be shipped off for Isotropic finishing. Might have the head ported also.. Depends on funds I suppose I don't trust the stock crank that I had to run at LLs so it's getting the boot.. Anyone want to buy an OEM crank that has ~10-20hrs on it?

Hey Pr1malR8gw, Why you want to do all the work and dump all that money into it when your switching to a 2-stroke anyway?????/ Atleast i think that was you saying they were switching. just curius....

I'm not getting rid of the bike.. and rather spend the money now on it then get a new bike and have that one blow up on me.. Cost to repair the damage that happened to it with the rod failure is alot more then what I'm going to put into it lately.. plus I still will ride it and would like some MO POWA!

I can't believe people change their oil after 5 hours or less. That is like stopping in the middle of a ride on the side of the trail or track and changing the oil before you can continue to ride. Some of you guys must go through more oil than gas!

I don't have an hour meter, but ride with some guys that do and I have easily hundreds of hours on my bike. Granted, it's a WR450 so it should require a LITTLE less maintenance, but I probably change my oil every 15-20 hours and clean the filter when its dirty (more often in the summer, less often in the winter). I have had the bike since new in early 2006 and have had ZERO engine problems.

I know some will bash my maintenance schedule, but it works for me and saves me a ton of coin compared to changing the oil every two hours like some have posted. I just can't believe than these machines actually require a maintenance schedule so stringent.

actual riding hours can shock you, you can start riding at 11 in the morning and end at 3 or 4. doesnt mean you rode for 4-5 hours, of actual riding theres probably 2 or 3 hours most of the time.

Hey Pr1malR8gw, Why you want to do all the work and dump all that money into it when your switching to a 2-stroke anyway?????/ Atleast i think that was you saying they were switching. just curius....

sorry to hear about all your problems. sounds just like the KTM 2 stroke i had. spent more time getting worked on, so we got a kx.

I can't believe people change their oil after 5 hours or less. That is like stopping in the middle of a ride on the side of the trail or track and changing the oil before you can continue to ride. Some of you guys must go through more oil than gas!

I don't have an hour meter, but ride with some guys that do and I have easily hundreds of hours on my bike. Granted, it's a WR450 so it should require a LITTLE less maintenance, but I probably change my oil every 15-20 hours and clean the filter when its dirty (more often in the summer, less often in the winter). I have had the bike since new in early 2006 and have had ZERO engine problems.

I know some will bash my maintenance schedule, but it works for me and saves me a ton of coin compared to changing the oil every two hours like some have posted. I just can't believe than these machines actually require a maintenance schedule so stringent.

I do every 5 hours, but it takes me some time to get 5 hours, It has taken 5 months to get to 10 hours as its not my primary ride.:smirk:

actual riding hours can shock you, you can start riding at 11 in the morning and end at 3 or 4. doesnt mean you rode for 4-5 hours, of actual riding theres probably 2 or 3 hours most of the time.

See i'm the oposite.. I can put on 1-2 hours in a 4hrs span at the track..

I know it can vary a lot, but as I stated, I ride with guys who have hour meters and usually ask how long our ride was at the end of the day so I have a decent idea. And riding trails, if you are gone from the truck/camp for 6 hours about 5 of those are actually riding hours since we only stop for a quick lunch and at intersections for the guy directly behind you to become visible. I know for a fact that last three day weekend I rode we logged just over 10 hours on my buddies hour meter. There is no way I was going to change my oil 5 times in one weekend!