Sign in to follow this  

70's KX250 Mystery

Me and my dad are picking up a from what i can determine a 73 - 77 KX250 from my girl friends dad. It has been sitting for years and we want just a fun project. Now i have tried to find information on these bikes so i can pin down what year it is but i cant find much. Now on these bikes are the VIN's located on the right side of the neck of the frame? Also can anyone tell me the differences between the years so i can try to find somthing that would give me a sign of the year as they all basically look the same through all those years. I know it has been repainted but i know the bike had the white front and rear fenders and the tank use to have the white stripe with kawasaki logo on it and it has the pipe that goes on the under side of the frame.

Thanks

they pretty much are all stamped on the neck. if its not visible, than its been painted over. good luck on the project. its a bit of a dinasour and parts maybe super hard to locate. ebay maybe your best friend.

I did look on the neck and i can see where there was a sticker there with im assuming the VIN on it however it had been mostly painted over and i cant find anything stamped into the frame any where. Also from just browsing through parts unlimted the main wear and tear items are readily avaliable. But honestly the bike is really in pretty good condition from just taking a glance over it. Thanks for the input :bonk: Anybody know anything that could help me figure the year on it. Has anyone rode/own one and what is your opinion of the bike?

Thanks

Post a pic of it and I'm sure someone will know sometheing.

Ed

At this time i do not have any pictures of the bike as its buried in her garage. We should be getting the bike in a week or two hopefully sooner as ive been chomping at the bit for a bike project for awhile. Im on the fence though as if i should just restore it and run it here and there for fun or take the time and effort and make it in to a flat tracker style street bike to buzz around on? But maybe i can get some pics before then.

After doing some research they didnt make the KX in 73 and skipped a year in 77 and in 76 they used black fenders on the bike instead of white. So i believe i have narrowed it down to 74 or 75 and due to some other little things i have found i am leaning towards a 75. More to come once i can get a good look at it. :bonk:

Easy to determine between a 74 and 75. 74 has no reed valve. 75 was the first year for reeds. I have a 75 (in parts waiting for a resto)

Easy to determine between a 74 and 75. 74 has no reed valve. 75 was the first year for reeds. I have a 75 (in parts waiting for a resto)

Are you sure about 75 being the first year for reeds on the KX250? I cant find any parts diagrams or information on the 75 having a case reed induction or directly into the cylinder. I believed the first year for reeds on the 250 was in 78 when they did their redesign of the bike. Now it could be possible that you have a 75 with a 78 cylinder with the reed setup as the engine cases were the same from 74 to 79 so i suppose it could be possible to bolt that cylinder to a 75 bottom end. :bonk:

The very first KX250 was 74. I think what you have is a F11, dual sport. Only street bikes came with vin decals, or what are techniCally called compliant labels. The Kaw dual sports were rotary engines until the late 70's IIRC.

The very first KX250 was 74. I think what you have is a F11, dual sport. Only street bikes came with vin decals, or what are techniCally called compliant labels. The Kaw dual sports were rotary engines until the late 70's IIRC.

I'm 99.9 percent sure its not a F11. The bike doesnt have any lights on it, no speedo setup, and the pipe goes under the frame and exits on the right of the bike (if sitting on it) not on the left side. There is no rotary valve on the bike either and knobby tires that are not street legal. Also the bike has number plates and on the side number plates it has KX250 on it outlined in red which i have only seen on the 75 KX models which is leading me to believe its a 75.

dont know if this helps but my 74 kx125 had the carb in the right side cover

dont know if this helps but my 74 kx125 had the carb in the right side cover

Just looked at that, those things are pretty crazy looking with the rotary valve induction like that. But the bike im looking at does have that type of induction. Also any information helps im still learning about these older bikes! :smirk:

Just looked at that, those things are pretty crazy looking with the rotary valve induction like that. But the bike im looking at does have that type of induction. Also any information helps im still learning about these older bikes! :smirk:

If it has a rotary style induction it isnt a KX250. The 125s did, I had a 76 basket case for a little while.

I had a 76 KX 250, and I'm fairly certain it was a straight piston-port design. I loved that bike, and absolutely rode the the wheels off it. I would love to have it back, but mine is long since in the landfill. I sold it to a neighbor who thought it would be OK to run it "a little while" on straight gas--end of story.

My brother had a KX 125 of the same vintage. It had the rotary valve induction, just like the KE dual sport line. It was kind of amazing how his motor looked so similar to a KE 125 (lots of them around), but was shockingly more powerful!

As I recall, my KX was fairly reliable for bikes back in those days. The only real hassle was the cylinder, which was when Kawasaki pioneered the "electrofusion" process. There was no one replateing cylinders back then (at least no one I knew of as a kid), so when I damaged my cylinder, I had to order a new one, which took a couple months, as I recall. I also remember that pipe springs would break a lot, and if you did not replace them immediately, the mounts would break, requiring a trip to the welder. My pipe was the stock downpipe. There was a local older guy who raced a 76 with some success. He had a custom made "up pipe" that took the modern route over the motor, and he had the shock mounts modified to increase suspension travel.

IMAG0289.jpg

This is my 75 kx 250

Jeekinz you are correct 74 was the first year.. 74 kx's are pretty rare.. completly different fromt the 75 kx 250. 74 has shorter forks and shorter shocks. uluminum seat pan, different swingarm and the frame doesnt have support braces like a 75 or 76 kx.. many ways to identify.. 74 and 75 used a lime green tank with white stripe and white fenders. 76 was a darker green with white stripe with different font of lettering and had black fenders.. take a pic

I had a chance to buy a running 74 a year or so ago. they guy wouldn't budge from $500. The only really useable parts were the frame, cases, and fork lowers. everything else was rusted, dented or broken. I had to pass.

Kawiboy thats a nice looking bike! Did you restore it and why red on tank? Speaking of the guy modifying the shocks for more travel, my old man back in his prime raced a TM250 and him and his brother hacked the mounts and moved them alittle more forward to get some extra travel. But im gonna get her dad the 300 for it this weekend so hopefully that will inspire him to dig it out for me. :smirk: Then i can try and find the vin on this thing and get some pictures up! Unfortunatly its snowing and thats not making things move faster. But how does that electofusion work with the cylinder?