best yz125 year newer then '05?

i have an 07 kx250f and i have been wanting a second bike for about 5 months and my dads finally starting to say its not a bad idea :bonk:. i really like yz's with rm's as a close second and was wondering in stock condition whats the best year newer then 05 for them. i probably cant afford an 09 or newer so '05-'08 whats the best year? i know yamahas been accused of changing their designs like every 3-5 years not really every year. and what could i get the best deal on? i can do small mechanic stuff. but i wanna be able to buy a bike i can jump on and ride before i buy it.

your dad is buying you a second bike? my dad wont even buy me one bike. do you know how hard it is to race with money you only get work in school holidays. stick with kawi. its easier to have same brand as things are interchangerble and tools and the same

You can't go wrong with any of them from 05 on. Just get one that is in the best shape relative to the price and you'll love it.

Beware that your KX may not be used as much next year though. I had an 05 YZ125 and an 09 KX250F last summer and ended up selling both for a 2012 YZ125. A friend of mine had an 08 YZ125 and a 2011 KX250F and the KX stayed home most of the season.

my dads not buying it. its more like hell allow me to use my own money haha. he conotrols all my money i work 40 hours a week in the summer under the table at my dads friends work for 70 bucks a day plus like 10-20 in tips. and im good at saving money, and im 6'1 ish and 200 pounds so i think ill need to keep the 250, the 125 will be a practice/backup bike that i can use to do other classes once in a while.

yeah with gear im probably in the 220s. i know the 125 will be fun iv ridden a bunch of my friends im just saying ill always love my 250, at first i was considering selling my kx and using the money for the 125 to get a really nice rmz250 ( AJ you have one of the nicest rmzs iv seen) but id rather have 2 bikes that are good then have one really nice bike

08 would be your best bet... it has the wave rotors and smaller calipers. Really cant go wrong with any of those years but the 06+ has the SSS forks. 06 will need the shift stopper replaced with the upgraded version if it hasnt been already.

i have an 06 yz125, it has a knock in the gearbox, could that be the shift stopper you speak of? also what is a shift stopper?

ok. im doing 70 hours a week at the moment cos its school holidays. $70 bucks a day? i get like 20 an hour so im making heaps of money. got to pay my ute off. i just thought cos i got two yamaha's ( 01 and 2010) most of my parts exchange and i have a lot of yamaha specific tools and clothing and stickers it would difficult to change brands

i have an 06 yz125, it has a knock in the gearbox, could that be the shift stopper you speak of? also what is a shift stopper?

Could be... Id def have a look when you have some down time.

ok. im doing 70 hours a week at the moment cos its school holidays. $70 bucks a day? i get like 20 an hour so im making heaps of money. got to pay my ute off. i just thought cos i got two yamaha's ( 01 and 2010) most of my parts exchange and i have a lot of yamaha specific tools and clothing and stickers it would difficult to change brands

Your correct, it can save you some money in gear and stuff if your worried about looks, but I have no problem wearing whatever gear I have. I wear every color imaginable on my Yamis.

Yamaha parts do exchange between similar bikes but you cant exchange many parts from a 2 stroke to a thumper of any brand. As far as tools, what specialty tools do you speak of?

things like steering nut spanner, spanner for the top of the forks. fork seal driver, air box cover, things like that, they might fit some other brands but not all of them. well i race so i would look pretty stupid riding a kawi and my gear yamaha badges on it and my ute has a yamaha factory racing sticker on the back wind screen. between thumper and two strokes there would be fork seals, levers, brake pads, wheels, alot of bolts and nuts, footpegs, spokes. all things i ahve stock piled in my shed