chevy 2500hd problems...

so i'm driving to my friends house down the road. pull up to the stop sign and press the gas to go, and nothing. shut if off for a minute and turned it back on and still nothing, it shifts into park but i can't tell if it shifts into anything else... it doesn't have ANY oil broken parts or any visible damage underneat (tranny transfercase differential u joints. driveshafts) could it be the Torque converter blown out?

its not the allison, it's the 6.0. when it was "in" gear it was just revving up and not moving. my engine lights on but its for an oxygen sensor. the trans fluid level was just barely below normal. and i hadn't noticed any leaks or anything since i first got it. i'm not sure if it has cable shift or electric. what about the transfer case? aren't they like belt driven on some of them?

Call your dad and get him out there before a cop stumbles along and finds you driving at 15.

Now, block the wheels, shut the engine off, and inspect to see if the shift cable broke or came disconnected at the trans.

hahaha it's okay, it's school license and It broke about a minute from my school "going to wrestling." if the shift cable broke though wouldn't i not be able to move the lever on the column?

Your transfer case is chain driven, the transmission in your truck is the 4L80E. It is an electronically controlled transmission. All the cable attached to your gear shift lever does is move it into P,R,D,ect. Could be a solenoid, computer, best bet is to take it to a transmission shop and let them check it out.

shift cable moves with with the lever but rolls backwards in drive gears but stays put in park. is the filter in that the siphon for the tranny fluid? we've got the nessecary tools to fix it zach and 90% of know how its just a different year than my dads truck and thats whats with the questions. i've gone through the majority of the fuses, which ones would be transmission sol.?

The solenoids would require pulling the Trans pan. Usually you can hook a scan tool up to it and it will tell you. My truck had 4 fault codes(transmission related), yet the check engine light never came on. Maybe it was just special though lol

Your transfer case is chain driven, the transmission in your truck is the 4L80E. It is an electronically controlled transmission. All the cable attached to your gear shift lever does is move it into P,R,D,ect. Could be a solenoid, computer, best bet is to take it to a transmission shop and let them check it out.

Chain is used to transfer power to the front prop shaft, he should get power through it unless the planetary gears for hi/lo range broke. Solenoids gives you shift, if all didnt work, you'd still have manual operations, ie manual low, 2nd, shifting would be funky if it shifted in D, it would me limited to either a few gears or stuck in one gear (think default it 3rd), but still move, especially if pulled into manual low. Sounds like he has too many neutrals, which means "bring the checkbook" ?

hahaha it's okay, it's school license and It broke about a minute from my school "going to wrestling." if the shift cable broke though wouldn't i not be able to move the lever on the column?

Just giving you a hard time.

Start checking fuses.

I'm trying to recall if there was an instance where I encountered a trans that worked fine one instant, and then NOTHING at all. Coming up blank.

And yes, if the cable was off the trans, you would feel no detent (click, notch, etc) from gear to gear.

The 4L80E is known to have a bad 3/4 shift solenoid in years prior to '97. This solenoid takes out the whole tranny when it goes! That is where I'd start.

Also while you have the pan off, have someone put a drain plug in the pan (there is a spot where one can be welded in on the drivers side) looking at the pan, you'll see where it should go.