Sign in to follow this  

leak in my expansion pipe

I was reading in the forum on how to get a dent out of your expansion pipe and decided to "expand" my expansion pipe.

I used a 1 1/8-1 3/4 freeze plug for the manifold side after trimming it down a little with a grinder to fit and I used the smallest freeze plug they had at advance auto and shaved it down to fit in the pipe with a threaded lamp nipple int the center and some washers and then a schrader valve on the end. Well this trick of pressurizing the pipe worked great! I got it up to about 70 psi and heated the pipe and the dent popped right out:thumbsup:. But as I was pressuring the pipe I noticed a hissing indicating a leak. It was around the hanger bracket of the pipe and judging by the oil on it it had been leaking for a while. I sandblasted it and cleaned it up real good and figured I could stick weld it shut with a small 6013 1/16 inch rod and 70 amps dc. well the heat was good and I made sure not to melt through the pipe but after three tries and really building up a lot of metal I figured I must be using the wrong kind of stick cause it was not sealing :bonk: .Any body know the right kind of metal to use on this pipe? I'm going to the radiator shop tomorrow anyway they are the wizards of welding:worthy: Ill probably bring my pipe to see what they can do.pipe1.jpgpipe2.jpgpipe3.jpgpipe4.jpg

I took the pipe to my guys at Steve's radiator in Tabb VA to get it welded. they had hooked me up with my bent leaking radiator before.The owner rides 4 wheelers and does a lot of off road repairs. They welded up the pipe for me I had them sand blast it and give it a new coat of high temp black paint too.It was a very noticeable difference when I put every thing back together i noticed now when I get on it if I'm not leaning forward the front end comes off the ground in the first three gears. I also sealed the manifold joint with some high temp red RTV. I was tired of the spooge leak and that probably helped increase back pressure too. If any of you need help in rigging up a pressure test rig just hit me up it really made a difference on my bike. Me and a friend are taking the bikes to the Currituck track in NC tomorrow i cant wait!