Powervalve gasket/seal leak

I noticed today i had some exhaust curling out of the thick rubber spacer between the pv cover and the case. Im going to replace the gasket and seal, but didnt know if this is something serious enough to not run the bike until its fixed. Normally i start it outside so this could have been doing this a while and just never noticed it.

personnally i think you should be good to go, if anything itll be forcing more lubrication to your powervalve components. but after replacing seals/gaskets id check to make sure the vent hose insn't plugged or blocked to prevent future seal/gasket from leaking

That gasket is pretty much impossible to keep from leaking unless you take it off and clean it after every ride. I just replaced that gasket and used just a drop of rvt to ensure a good fit. Hasnt leaked yet. Imgetting ready to take it apart to replace the top end so we will see how it holds up.

pretty sure there is an O ring on the shaft that hold the PV assy together...I'm pretty sure I get that O ring when I order a top end gasket kit. I think that gasket on the PV cover is more to keep stuff out then spooge in...just my thoughts...

It'll run just peachy without that whole PV linkage cover, even if it does leak a little. Mine removed itself mid-ride over the summer. It was exposed to hours of coal dust and never caused any hangups. I didn't notice until I got home and washed the bike. I don't really think it's a great idea, but it doesn't exactly hurt it either. PS: Those stupid PV linkage covers are $45 if you can find them on sale. Maybe learn from my mistake and Loc-Tite those threads. :bonk:

That gasket is pretty much impossible to keep from leaking unless you take it off and clean it after every ride. I just replaced that gasket and used just a drop of rvt to ensure a good fit. Hasnt leaked yet.

I do the same with the RTV.

I noticed on my 2002 that the shaft wears out the narrow aluminum "bearing" surface in the cylinder just behind the shaft seal. Also that shaft (a $65 part) wears down in the same place. There's less than 1/8" of "bearing" width in that part of the cylinder, so after a lot of hours the shaft gets sloppy in there. When that happens, changing the seal will not stop the leak.

I planned to bore that hole out and install a wider bushing in there. I had some nice bushings from McMaster.com (I think they were 8mm ID) and a freshly replated top end ready for them in but most of my spares burned up with my house.