Sign in to follow this  

Question regarding kickshaft for my 250

Hi,

I have an '09 yz250. I've seen a lot of threads regarding broken kick shafts on later yz's. Mine works fine, but I'm considering buying one from ebay just in case.

My bike has run about 150 hrs, and I do think that I'm not brutal when kicking. Is it a "when" rather than "if" it breaks problem? Should I buy a shaft?

Or does it brake when bikes have been ridden hard for several years with many hundred hours (and thereby lots of kicking)?

-espkul

Mine is still in perfect condition on my 08. Havnt seen any break either. Usually the damage I see to the kickstart is internal. On my 03 Im contemplating replacing the kick start though. It is contacting the footpeg, which is starting to take away material from the shaft. That is what I would watch for. If its not wearing in that area I doubt it will break.

Thank you

It has taken away material from kick as well due. What I'm worried about is the axle. And therefore considering about buying a replacement.

Is i actually possible to start the 250 without hitting the footpeg?

Ive never really paid attention to that before, but I dont think mine hits the peg. I start my bike with my heel with toes pointing out. My boot hits the peg before the kick lever can. Give that a try.

You could... never hurts to have spare parts laying around (I try to keep everything I need to rebuild the motor on hand) but I dont think its neccessary.

I've heard that when the kickstart shaft goes, it takes out the right side case as well. I am always keeping my eyes open for both of them.

It has been said a lot on here to get the 99-01 kickstart shaft as it is solid, making it virtually snap proof.

Thanks for answers. Hard to decide. These things aren't exactly cheap...

Isn't it possible to use liquid metal if the case cracks?

Not in that spot... too much stress applied to the case in that area when kicking. The good news is that you can usually find those clutch side cases rather cheap on ebay.

Will an outer case from a '99 fit my '09?

Edited by espkul

Doubt it... It may though.

It will bolt on, you need the early kick shaft and lever to make it work.

I just broke the shaft on my 06' last weekend. Just under 190hrs and most of those hours as a big bore w/ pretty high compression.

Worst part is I was out in the middle of the Florence dunes when it happened having the best time ever:banghead:

It happened very slowly and I could feel the metal fatigue while it gave away. I knew something was wrong as I was kicking and then my kickstarter got stuck in the down position. As I tried to release it the starter pulled out of the motor. Oops.

i think thats what broke on mine. Is it the little shaft with the teeth on it where u have your kickstarter attached too? if it is mine broke saturday, its 73 dollars and takes two weeks to ship here! :smirk:

I still think The easyest solution is to take the new kick shaft and bore the center out to one size and make a dowl to press fit into the center. Any machiene shop should be able to accomplish this for faily cheap. What there doing is snapping at the hole were the spring goes through the shaft. I always keep spares. Ive loged 300+ hours with my 110 olney 295 and a good 150+ hours on stock bore and never broke a shaft yet. The dowl down the center would beef up the shaft so it cant flex and snap in half. If you use the earlyer shaft you have to use a small kick lever unless you have a machienest recut the splines to fit the newer style lever.

If you use the earlyer shaft you have to use a small kick lever unless you have a machienest recut the splines to fit the newer style lever.

It has been mentioned here that the 4t kick lever (that is similar to the late 2t lever) fits the early shaft

Ahh. I see, but do I have to do any other mods in addition to the kick and larger shaft when using the old case?