Sign in to follow this  

05 450 exc new bike setup and questions

I just picked up a basically brand new 05 450 exc with 39 miles on the bike. I already did allot of research and purchased most of everything I need for the bike but I still need some help from the experts.

small1.JPG

Here is the list of stuff that I already purchased for the bike…

Pro Moto Billet Kickstand

Pro Moto Billet Threaded Bar Inserts

Bullet Proof Designs Radiator Guards

Bullet Proof Designs Rear Disk Guard

Bonz Axle Pull

Bonz Clutch Guard

BRP Scotts Damper Sub Mount Setup

CSE Cable Guide for Scotts

BRP Hand Guard Mounts

BRP Rear Chain Guide

Flatland Rear Exhaust Shield

R&D Flex Jet Fuel Screw

KTM Fan Kit

1.8 Bar KTM Radiator Cap

Enduro Engineering Hand Guards (Came with bike)

E-Line carbon skid plate (came with bike)

Suspension is going off to MX-Tech (they are just down the street from me)

I am going to sell the Baja dual sport kit and install 2007 OEM Harness along with some stuff from sickass racing.

Stuff I still need to figure out…

Jetting and carb setup

I am going to get a JD jet kit but what else do I need or would you guys recommend?

Do I need the Honda ap diaphragm or does the JD jet kit address that mod?

R&D seems to sell a lot of stuff for the FCR carbs is any of it actually necessary or worth the Investment?

http://www.r1dean.com/cart/index.php?main_...147sppaar2o43v6

Tires

I am going to be riding mostly trails in the western PA. What are the tires everyone is using?

Preventive Maintenance

What needs to be done to the 2005 RFS bikes?

This is my number one concern with doing dual sport riding I really do not want to be stranded in the middle of nowhere. I want to get all bugs worked out and all mods done this winter while the bike is new and I have allot of time.

I had an 05 too.They are great bikes.Just keep the oil changed and the valves adjusted and you should be good.Learn to adjust the valves yourself.The first time is kind of overwelming but after the first time its easy.Go over to ktmtalk,alot better info on there.

Sweet looking bike, should run a long time. Looks like you have spent the entire value of the bike on aftermarket goodies. Should all be good. I had one of those CF skid plates once, but it was so noisy it drove me crazy. I ditched it for the KTM quick release plastic model.

I had an 05 too.They are great bikes.Just keep the oil changed and the valves adjusted and you should be good.Learn to adjust the valves yourself.The first time is kind of overwelming but after the first time its easy.Go over to ktmtalk,alot better info on there.

will say this guy speaks 100% truth...

here you will wait days for a reply at times, at ktmtalk you will usually wait minutes/hours.

as far as the bike- RFS motors need valve checks and oil changes....you keep up on them the bike wont leave you stranded.

will say this guy speaks 100% truth...

here you will wait days for a reply at times, at ktmtalk you will usually wait minutes/hours.

as far as the bike- RFS motors need valve checks and oil changes....you keep up on them the bike wont leave you stranded.

Thats true on the wait time but most of the time i do a search on there and will get an answer.

Are you the gcally from the wera board? I think I was going to buy an SV650 frame from you a couple yrs ago. Anyway, nice bike. I just bought a low hr, new to me 05 450 exc about a month ago. Loving it. About jetting, on my 05 525 I used Jd's red needle, a 172 main, oring on the a/p linkage, and last but not least, jd's modified float bowl with leak jet. This made for a really great running combo for east coast sea level conditions. Maybe the 450 will have to use slightly smaller jetting? Only reason I bought the kit for the 525, is because it ran so bad and overheated so badly right out of the box. My 450 runs surprisingly well with stock jetting (except for the off-idle bog), so I'm just gonna leave it for now.

Are you the gcally from the wera board? I think I was going to buy an SV650 frame from you a couple yrs ago. Anyway, nice bike. I just bought a low hr, new to me 05 450 exc about a month ago. Loving it. About jetting, on my 05 525 I used Jd's red needle, a 172 main, oring on the a/p linkage, and last but not least, jd's modified float bowl with leak jet. This made for a really great running combo for east coast sea level conditions. Maybe the 450 will have to use slightly smaller jetting? Only reason I bought the kit for the 525, is because it ran so bad and overheated so badly right out of the box. My 450 runs surprisingly well with stock jetting (except for the off-idle bog), so I'm just gonna leave it for now.

Yep that’s me.

I ended up ordering the JD jet kit along with the R&D adjustable leak jet. I figured for the extra $40 I got the R&D adjustable one over the JD modified bowl. I know I will probably never adjust the leak jet once I get it set correctly but it is going to be much easier to get to that point without having to take the bowl off to change leak jets.

I still have to decide if I want to use the new AC pump spring that comes with the R&D Power Pump or just use the O-ring that comes with the JD jet kit. I ride north east trails and single track. I have heard that the O-ring gives a slightly less aggressive throttle response than the R&D spring. I think I am going to try the O-ring first because it is much easier to install.

Did you notice a big difference adding a leak jet to your 525 vs doing just the diaphragm mod?

Never tried the diaphragm mod in my 525. Had a CRF diaphragm in a FCR in a DRZ, and it helped some, but I think a leak jet is the correct way to fix it.