Sign in to follow this  

First ride with the 2002 CRF450

Took her out for my first ride on a 450! Could not make it go around a corner, its been quit a few years since I was on a track, but come on..... Set the sag and was tols to raise the forks up about 11mm It has PC tripple clamps and the tubes are at the bottom of the bars, what do I do??

Thanks

Took her out for my first ride on a 450! Could not make it go around a corner, its been quit a few years since I was on a track, but come on..... Set the sag and was tols to raise the forks up about 11mm It has PC tripple clamps and the tubes are at the bottom of the bars, what do I do??

Thanks

What sag specs?

You must turn with the throttle on a CRF.

Set your sag at 100mm-105mm (rider preference) forks should be at the lower groove (there are 2 grooves), it is about 6mm down on the tube , the upper mark right near the top is for a 20 inch wheel that was a option and is not normally used , you are mentioning aftermarket triples , do you know the offset ?? . my 02 turns on a dime , , i keep checking to see if my bike is yellow it turns so good , it has stock clamps , but i re-valved the suspension which changed everything about the bike as far as handling and steering , i also use the offset risers for the bars and put them in the forward position , this puts the bars 3mm forward , and gives you more bite for steering , the more sag you run (especially with a 02) the less steering , also check your wheelbase , the farther forward the rear wheel the better the steering , you can also (when you change fork oil) , go to 365cc of oil instead of the 425cc Honda recommends , this will help with steering as well and is where i have mine

i use 5 wt Amsoil

Thanks, they are the pro circuit tripple clamps, don't know the off set. sag was really off, I've set it at 100 but last ride I felt kile a fool, could not tuen. I've used race tech in the past, but who would you suggest on sus mods?

Hey thanks for your help!

If you ride sand their in florida like we do in mich. you will want you sag around 104 to 105 , hi speed if stock 2 1/2 my be a little more. I have my forks at the first mark from top of forks not sec. And ya it did not turn that great till i had it revalved , made all the diff. FC would be good , just tell the what kind of riding you do. Any place in you area would be good to , so if you need something changed you don`t have to send it out.

Thanks, they are the pro circuit tripple clamps, don't know the off set. sag was really off, I've set it at 100 but last ride I felt kile a fool, could not tuen. I've used race tech in the past, but who would you suggest on sus mods?

Hey thanks for your help!

Read the Sticky about Do It Yourself Re-Valve in this section of the forums , i ended up (with some help from the Dogger) doing mine myself , i had a Race Tech guy do it first and was not real happy , it was still too stiff and twitchy , and was almost worse than it was stock if that was possible , it took a few tries on my own making mistakes before i got the Dogger to help me out , with suggestions , and my bike has never handled better , and when i can afford it , i will add a few more trick items to it in the forks , to plush it up more , but just what has been done it turns better and handles pretty good , i am extremely happy just as it is , i can list my base vale stack if you want , i am using Race Tech Gold Valves front and rear , but i think this stack should work great with stock fork valves

But you cant beat the satisfaction of doing your own re-valving

Hi,I dont mean to hijack your thread but 450xjimdirt I would be very interested in the stacks your running as Im having issues with mine as well.If you wouldnt mind.thanks

Hi,I dont mean to hijack your thread but 450xjimdirt I would be very interested in the stacks your running as Im having issues with mine as well.If you wouldnt mind.thanks

3-20x.15

1-10x.10

1-19x.10

1-17x.10

1-15x.10

1-13x.10

1-11x.10

1-10x.10

1-9x.15

Clickers

Comp:16-12 out (13)

Reb:14-10 out (12)

365cc Outer Chamber (5 wt)

Thank you very much,Im going to give it a shot and see how it works for me.Are you running a stock mid valve or did you change it and does the gold valve pistons make a significant difference ? Thanks again for your help