Sign in to follow this  

TM-40 Is it worth it??

Happy new year everyone!!

I'm pretty sick of the stock DR crab. I've done the jetting, and all that crap. It's a huge improvement over stock but it still sucks lol. I can pull power wheelies in 2nd, get about 50mpg with care full riding, i'm in the low 30's mpg most of the time but that's my own fault :bonk: but It has a slight stumble off idle. Might be the pilot jet.

I want to get better performance from the engine, just wondering if the TM-40 kit from Pro Cycle or Kientech is worth the 450 bucks plus shipping costs?

Or am I better off getting the FCR carb, I hear its a better carb but not as plug and play as the TM-40. The TM-40 is easy enough to buy online but never found a site which sells the FCR or even a price.

Im releying on you experienced DR people. Which ever carb gets the best reviews thats the one im buying :smirk:.

Edited by RideoutJames

Yes its worth every penny. My DR650 did that (off idle stall) with the CV carb and my DRZ400S was even worse. It usually happened to me at the worse time such as climbing a narrow single track trail or somewhere that prevents you from getting good footing.

My TM40 has been on the DR now for 26,000 miles. The Procycle TM40 kit is the way to go if you want to minimize your tinkering time.

Edited by T30
Clarity

Fitting an FCR carb isn't that tough. Just buy an adapter from MX_Rob and follow his detailed write-up. I bought mine used for $125 bought all the goodies and sold my old carb for $100. So all told I upgraded for around $75.

The TM 40 from Keintech does not NOT come with a jetting kit, nor does it come with carb adaptors. They just squeeze the rubber down harder to take up the gap.

It does come prejetted and with the proper throttle cables but NO instructions.

I would go with Pro cycle

I love the carb and no flat spots, improved gas mileage and I can lug the bike down LOWER then with the stock carb.

I can run below 3000 in the first 4 gears and 5th down to about 3000 without chugging.

its been a while since i had my dr650 which was set up for street use. with the tm40 i was able to pull a 17 tooth front sprocket, huge improvement for street riding. the stock carb with all the mods could not pull the 17.

I'm running 18x42 & the completely stock motor handles it fine; it's street only, however.

Tom

I have both the DRZ 400s & the DR 650se. Did the 3x3, re-jet, and full FMF to the 400s. Made a hell of a difference. From what Ive read on this forum, the only mod that will fix my 650's surging or lack of perforance will be a new carb. Unlike the 400s, unless you swap out the carb, rejetting make a very nominal difference.

Gotta say I don't find my BST carb that bad !

Before I got the DR I had read heaps on the forums about how bad the carb was and the need to replace it with an FCR or TM40. So while waiting for a good used DR to come up I also kept a look out for an FCR on ebay - managed to get the YZ450 quad bike model cheap, so bought it about a month before I got the bike. I am a machinist, so making up the necessary adapters is no problem and won't cost me anything.

I've had the bike for 5 months now and have not bothered to adapt the FCR yet - I will at some stage as I'm sure it will provide some improvement with a more open airbox.

What I did do is open up the airbox and get the BST jetted properly. I welded a bung in the header to use my wideband AFR meter. I did not need a different needle - the wideband shows that with my airbox mods a richer needle would not work. All that was required was a 160 main jet and fuel screw adjustment. Bike now runs well under all conditions I ride in, and pulls cleanly from 2800 rpm in all gears - no noticeable surging under any conditions I have experienced yet.

I didn't find the stock carb that bad either. I rejetted it, put a few washers under the need clip and had no compaints. I ran 15/42 gearing and found high gear wouldn't run down to 3000 and preferred 3500 for smooth running. My gas mileage was around 57 mpg, canadian gallon which is larger then an american gallon.

But after reading the form about all the advantages of the TM 40 I bought one. It was prejetted and I just bolted it on, no modifications whatever.

It pulled cleanly to 7000, no hesitations and my gas mileage improved to 67 or 68 mpg, canadian gallon. With our gas priced I can fill up with high test and I find the bike much better on high test, I fill up for 10 cents a mile. 100 miles, $10 in gas.

The bike lugs down to well below 3000 in the lower gears and about 2800 in high IF you are not asking for a sudden increase, just cruising and rolling gently into the throttle. It is comfortable at about 3200 in high if you suddenly crack the throttle.

I think for me the switch to the TM40 was certainy worth it but again the old carb was not bad.

i can't speak for the tm40 carb. but, i have an fcr39 and it's great. be patient, and you can get one for not a lot of cash. (as was mentioned above.) i got one, already dialed in for a dr650, including the merge racing spring, for $130 shipped, off of fleabay. it was pretty-much plug-n-play.

i did this after having put <100 miles on the stock carbie, so i cannot really say how much better it is than stock. but, everything i have read about the stock carb indicates either a tm40 or an fcr39 is a no-brainer upgrade...

doug s.