Sign in to follow this  

XR400 Fuel screw washer

Hey, after opening up my carb I realized this was missing. I need to get my bike running before tomorrow and all of the motoX stores are closed until tues.

Thinking of running to the hardware store and trying to find a washer that would work... would stainless steel be ok? Which kind of a washer should I get, to resist rust corrosion or anything else I should worry about on the inside of the carb :|

Hey, after opening up my carb I realized this was missing. I need to get my bike running before tomorrow and all of the motoX stores are closed until tues.

Thinking of running to the hardware store and trying to find a washer that would work... would stainless steel be ok? Which kind of a washer should I get, to resist rust corrosion or anything else I should worry about on the inside of the carb :|

Stainless would be fine. Actually, any metal washer will be fine, but I'd go with stainless if you can get one.

JayC

If the washer was missing then it's a good bet that it's been chewed up a little by being directly against the spring. I'd look at it real good.

If the washer was missing then it's a good bet that it's been chewed up a little by being directly against the spring. I'd look at it real good.

You mean the spring? or the washer? I'm quite sure I probably lost it recently when I took out the carb. Haven't rode it at all I've just been messing with jets... :smirk:

The washer protects the "O" ring from the spring. And it often falls out when the mixture screw is removed. The Honda solution is expensive because it is a gasket kit. I bought an after market carb kit on ebay for $15 just for the washer and "O" ring; cheaper than Honda.

I had an issue getting mine out and thaught it was lost. I was able to take a strand of wire and run it up into the seat and fish the oring/washer out. Might be worth a try?

You mean the spring? or the washer? I'm quite sure I probably lost it recently when I took out the carb. Haven't rode it at all I've just been messing with jets... :smirk:

Sorry, I meant to say the o-ring gets chewed on by the spring if the washer is not there between them. Like Chuck said.

Steve, well if the o-ring came out, then that means the washer must be out because the oring is deeper right?

o-ring seems to have little to no wear, like I said I think I just lost the washer recently. I bought one at true value that might fit today, ill try it when I get home. Ya the honda shop said 16$ for the pilot screw / spring / washer / o-ring. 20cents for the washer at true value haha hopefully it works. If not I may go for the carb kit...