Sign in to follow this  

Looking at the new FE Husabergs or Suzuki RMXZ

Hi guys,

I've been riding for a little over two years now, initially on an XR400R, then I swapped over to a DRZ400E as I use the bike to commute to work and electric start was handy. I am looking to buy a second bike, so I'll keep the DR for commuting and use the new one for everything else. I'm 6'1 and about 80Kgs (175 pounds).

Over here we ride a variety of stuff. We do a bit of motocross, some enduro, some really tight and twisty forest trail riding and some rallying where we are racing on tracks designed for rally cars. My friend has an '10 KTM 530 exc which seems to handle all of the above quite well...

I am looking at buying brand new and the biking magasines rave about the Husabergs whenever they get reviewed. Alternatively I'm also looking at the Suzuki RMX-Z 450 as I am a suzuki fan and they are significantly cheaper than the bergs. Which do you think would be more suited to "a bit of everything"? Also before anyone suggests it, I've ridden my friends 250 and 450 MXers and I'm not interested in the MX version of either bike.

I'm aware of course that either bike will be a big step up in power and handling from the DRZ, but I think I am ready for that step. I've been reading everything I could find on the Husabergs and one review suggested that the forks were way too soft for motocross, can anyone comment on that? Also, given that the 450 and 570 weight almost exactly the same, why would you choose the 450 over the 570?

Just a short input, the Husaberg 450FX (the FE has a wider spaced transmisson and lights but those might not be ideal on a motocross track) is what your describing, its designed for all the above, combined with a 6 speed, you`ll have a wicked bike. It doesnt come with lights, but it is wired for them. The only other concerns would be the smaller tank on the `berg, but a subframe fuel tank will jump the capacity up to about 3 gallons and the lack of kickstarter. This could cause a problem if you plan on adding a Rekluse as you cannot bump start the bike.

I have ridden a `berg 450FX and it was amazing in terms of power and delivery. As for the soft forks, you will have the same issue with the RMX when it comes to the motocross track. Nothing a set of springs cant fix or a possible revalve if its in your budget.

Can anyone speak from experience with regards to the ongoing cost of spare parts on a Beg/ KTM compared to the Suzuki?

I'm going to compare some individual items through the parts store but I'm after more of an overall picture - will the Berg work out significantly more expensive to repair and maintain over the long term than a suzuki for example?

Ive ridden trails with a few guys that own Husabergs and they love them. I have never asked specifically about maitenance cost, but I cant imagine a name owned by KTM to be high maintenance. I own a KTM and know many people who have ridden KTMs for years who will attest to their quality. Judging from what I have heard from the Husaberg owners, I think the performance of the Husaberg would be better than the DRZ.