Sign in to follow this  

California when does elkins close???

are we supposed to stay off the trails jan 1st??? even if there is no snow??

closed

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/eldorado/

".....The Eldorado National Forest would like to remind visitors that both the 2011 woodcutting and 2011 campfire permits expire on December 31. Permits for the new 2012 year will be available at ENF Ranger Stations beginning January 1st.

“Travelers and woodcutters should note that the seasonal dirt road and trail closure for wheeled motorized vehicles on the Eldorado National Forest will go into effect on January 1st," said Eldorado National Forest Supervisor Kathy Hardy. “Visitors should plan their activities with this in mind.”....."

"....The seasonal closure period of January 1 through March 30 was established based on

precipitation records in critically dry years. The routes will remain closed until at least April 1.

Road and trail conditions, precipitation, soil moisture, and weather forecasts, will be considered

when the decision to open the dirt roads and trails is made in the spring. This could extend the

closure beyond the three month closure period......"

:bonk: Hmmmmm...........................

So it's closed. So there's no snow. Nobody is gonna be there.................................. If a tree falls, will anyone hear it?! :smirk:

sgt-schultz-sgt-shultz-knowing-nothing-demotivational-poster-1262241779.jpg

I swear it wasn't me officer!

Edited by superslyko
Don't PM me, I ain't going! Sorry YZ........ you know.

closed

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/eldorado/

".....The Eldorado National Forest would like to remind visitors that both the 2011 woodcutting and 2011 campfire permits expire on December 31. Permits for the new 2012 year will be available at ENF Ranger Stations beginning January 1st.

“Travelers and woodcutters should note that the seasonal dirt road and trail closure for wheeled motorized vehicles on the Eldorado National Forest will go into effect on January 1st," said Eldorado National Forest Supervisor Kathy Hardy. “Visitors should plan their activities with this in mind.”....."

"....The seasonal closure period of January 1 through March 30 was established based on

precipitation records in critically dry years. The routes will remain closed until at least April 1.

Road and trail conditions, precipitation, soil moisture, and weather forecasts, will be considered

when the decision to open the dirt roads and trails is made in the spring. This could extend the

closure beyond the three month closure period......"

wacha know about gt and fh is it the same????

Now that's an idea! :smirk:

GT! Anybody been to GT lately?

GT, Mammoth Bar, Stonyford, SSS?

I guess I just gotta fix this beast first! :bonk:

The Elkins closure is due to the Eldorado National Forest's BS Travel Management Decision (a pathetic policy of closure and management based on convenience and politics). All dirt roads and trails in the ENF are closed at least until April 1st, except GT/Rock Creek which falls under a separate EIS. Foresthill is not in the ENF, so you need to check with the Tahoe National Forest, Foresthill Ranger District to see if it is open or not. I thought I had heard that they were delaying closures in the TNF due to the dry conditions, but you should check for yourself. Unfortunately the policy for the ENF was written in a way that allows them to extend the closure if they decide it is necessary, but they say they can not shorten the seasonal closure.

I rode GT Thursday with some of the Dots, we had a group of about ten or so, and if you weren't up front it was like late Spring/early Summer dust.

The Elkins closure is due to the Eldorado National Forest's BS Travel Management Decision (a pathetic policy of closure and management based on convenience and politics). All dirt roads and trails in the ENF are closed at least until April 1st, except GT/Rock Creek which falls under a separate EIS. Foresthill is not in the ENF, so you need to check with the Tahoe National Forest, Foresthill Ranger District to see if it is open or not. I thought I had heard that they were delaying closures in the TNF due to the dry conditions, but you should check for yourself. Unfortunately the policy for the ENF was written in a way that allows them to extend the closure if they decide it is necessary, but they say they can not shorten the seasonal closure.

I rode GT Thursday with some of the Dots, we had a group of about ten or so, and if you weren't up front it was like late Spring/early Summer dust.

Thanks fellas!!!!!

Looked at the TNF web page and it looks like Foresthill is still open as of now. Check there or call the ranger station in town before going up though. Rode 5 & 6 on Friday and we got rained on pretty much the whole time. It was awesome then and it should still be pretty good now.

Happy New Year!

-t