Sign in to follow this  

new guy here...with a new toy

wanted to stop in and see all my fellow 2 strokers.

quite a few years ago i was pretty heavily envolved in Dirt bikes. after a pretty long break i have been wanting to get back into it.

well yesterday i picked up my new to me ride. its a 1993 Honda CR250. i did a little dealing with a guy somewhat local and got it for pretty much nothing. the bike has been hot and it scored the piston and cracked the cylinder as well. the bike has got quite a few many small parts that i did not get so ill have to get them a little at a time. im not really worried about the work of it since i did do most of all of my own wrenching back in the day, and also worked in a local bike shop here for quite some time.

i think the bike i got is a pretty good starter for me just looking at it what i have. it has a Wiesco Hot Rod kit in it the clutch basket dosent have any groving from the clutches and it appears to have had som work done to the suspention by Race Tech...at least going by the decals on the forks and rear shock. the lower end seems to be in pretty good shape to from what i have seen the crank moves good and free but im going to have to split the cases to clean them out so ill get a better look in there then. it also came with Pro Circut pipe and pro circut silencer as well, pipe has a few small dings but not to bad.

i bought it as a project bike and think i did ok. figure i might have $150 in it if that.

i have been making a list of things i need and the majority of it is small stuff that is missing. i need to get a cylinder, head and piston kit which will be my biggest expense in it at first. and my nephew works in a factory where they anodize aluminum which is good since someone took and spray painted the wheels Black so im going to see him and see if he can anodize the rims and hubs and ill be able to clean up the spokes and nipples and relace and true them myself if i can figure out an easy way to do that other than buying the big $$ tools to do it. or ill have the local shop do it.

well ill quit rambeling just a little excited to get started on this thing.

heres a few pictures. let me know what you all think...any ideas or tips would be a great help.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

Welcome to TT. Keep a steady supply of pictures and details of the build coming for us to look at...

My advice would be to part it out and buy something a little more current. Your probably going to be well over a $1000 bucks or more into the bike to get it somewhat right. You might be able to get a couple 100 for that bike with it parted out. Just my two cents!

My advice would be to part it out and buy something a little more current. Your probably going to be well over a $1000 bucks or more into the bike to get it somewhat right. You might be able to get a couple 100 for that bike with it parted out. Just my two cents!

i thought about doing that and just parting it out. but i need something to tinker with and work on and for me thats half the fun.

Depending on local markets, those bikes sell for a ton. Paying $150ish for the bike and sticking $1000 in it can still net you a profit. The 93-96 CR's still sell for $1200+ in my area depending on condition.

Casual rebuilds are therapeutic. No pressure. Just bringing an old girl back. U have a good start. I started with this 94 cr250.:smirk:

004.jpg

and brought it back to this.:bonk:

015a.jpg

Congrats on the find! I definitely say go for it! I just picked up a '93 before thanksgiving and can't be happier with it, i have a few things i've got to do with mine but i have been able get it out and ridden it and wow these things rip! You hit the power band and away it goes!

and piney, where did you find that graphics kit for yours? Any ideas where i can get one similar for my year?

Depending on local markets, those bikes sell for a ton. Paying $150ish for the bike and sticking $1000 in it can still net you a profit. The 93-96 CR's still sell for $1200+ in my area depending on condition.

No Kidding!? I owned a 95 CR 250, it was a great bike! I could see how they could fetcha few bucks but I was thinking it would cost more then a 1000 to get it back to prime.

As long as the OP is happy, thats what counts the most.

Piney...and i thought mine was bad to start...i think i might have given up if mine looked like yours...now i dont feel to bad...i might be hittin you up for a little info in the future. love the graphics too. i would also like to know where you picked them up at

PINK plastic! What was Honda thinking ?!?!

:bonk:

:smirk:

( Just kidding! )

It's all good. Whatever floats yer boat. 2-smokers rule!

well got a little more done tonight.

got most of all the bike stripped down to clean it up and see what all it needs.

i was suprised that the shock linkage was all pretty tight and not loose as a goose, only bad thing is i think the bolts are seized in the collars and i cant get them out, so gonna try and get some penetrating spray and let them soak for a while and see if i can get them loose so i can finish cleaning it up. then can paint the frame.

my nephew is going to come down this week and take a look at the wheels and hubs and see about anodizing them.

010.jpg

011.jpg

the parts pile

012.jpg

The graphics were on it when I bought it. Craigs list deal. Was a local racers, sold to some kid, who ran it into the ground. Disassembled and didnt store properly.Bought it and an old 84 can am 500 off guy for 350 and sold can am on ebay for 300. Ended up paying 50 bucks for it. Sank another 800 or so into the motor. Came with a set of nice gold talon hubs laced up to excel rims as well.

017.jpg

And I know what your saying about the pink.LOL:smirk:

Cool project. You will be surprised how well and old 2 smoker will hang or even straight up destroy some of the newer bikes out there. Im in the process of overhauling a 96 rm250 myself. Good luck.

Cool project. You will be surprised how well and old 2 smoker will hang or even straight up destroy some of the newer bikes out there. Im in the process of overhauling a 96 rm250 myself. Good luck.

yea im not into the racing thing no more just want to get out and ride some trails and have fun. thats where i loved to ride was in the woods.

for you all in the know corret me if im wrong but i was looking around on here last night for some info and some people were saying that i could use the cylinder off of a '99 model bike on my '93

I just wanted to make sure as the cylinder will be my biggest cost per part on this thing and want to make sure i get the best one for the $$. i have seen quite a few on fleabay for around $200-$300 for a Cylinder in the 92-96 year ranges but havent looked for the '99 model ones.

what is the biggest diffrence in them? porting?

and if i get one off of a '99 is it a direct bolt on?

ok good that will help in finding one

another question for you all

on the shock linkage...I'm assuming that where the 3 bolts go through there are metal collars on the insides? I have all the bolts loose but I can't get them out. wanted to take it all the way off so I could clean it up and check the bearings but I can't get the bolts out, I'm thinking they are froze up in there. am I saw a linkage setup on flea bay and thinking I might buy it and just cut the bolts off but not sure what to do about the long bolt that goes in the swingarm? I can get the bolt to turn but it's really stiff to turn. any of you guys got any ideas on how to get them out without cutting?

SWingarm bolt.They tend to freeze on the sleeve and are a bitch to get out. Keep soaking it with penetrating oil and beating it till it starts to budge. May trash the threads in the process. I beat on mine for a couple days before it came free. Make sure you check both ends of your shock. Those bearings usually go first. Lots of parts on flea bay and most of the original hardware can be had reasonably. Check cost of the "new" little parts before you buy used.

SWingarm bolt.They tend to freeze on the sleeve and are a bitch to get out. Keep soaking it with penetrating oil and beating it till it starts to budge. May trash the threads in the process. I beat on mine for a couple days before it came free. Make sure you check both ends of your shock. Those bearings usually go first. Lots of parts on flea bay and most of the original hardware can be had reasonably. Check cost of the "new" little parts before you buy used.

yea got the shock off last night but havent looked at it much yet. i did notice the bumper on the inside is trashed its dry rotted and cracked in two and fell apart. so not sure what ill have to do about that. not sure if i can get just the bumper and replace it myself or not.

i got the bolts soaking in some PB Blaster and if i cant get them out im gonna take them to our shop tomorrow and have one of the guys there beat them out with an air hammer

nice ride man....mine dont look quite that good....yet but it will very soon. hopeing i can get this stuff apart will make me feel a lot better.