Sign in to follow this  

Leaking gas.....I think

Hello all new here and just picked up a 2008 kx250f. when i purchased it i met the guy halfway between my house and his where the elevation was 2500 ft where he lives its 4500 and im 150 above sea level. bike rode fine when i met up with him but he told me i might need to rejett it. took it out today got it idling fine and running but didnt seem to have the power as it did when i got it got it well went into a turn bike bogged and died then wouldnt start got it back on the stand and noticed i have liquid coming from the case vent like and it smells like gas but with a brownish color and now the bike wont start. :bonk: any ideas on what it could be?

well, if he had it jetted correctly for his alt, then it would be too lean at close to sea lvl. Try to richen up the air screw first, if it improves the next step would be that the main jet might be too small by at least one size. Then go to the pilot, etc . The brown stuff is oil, the gas smell is blow-by. He prolly changed the oil very recently and overfilled.

Next check the valve clearances. Folks maybe shouldn't consider purchasing a used bike if the owner wont allow a 10 minute valve clearance inspection. Good Luck

tomorrow im going to try and jet it back to stock or team green specs. not sure if the po changed the needle or not would the needles be marked?

sweet thanks everyone! last question i checked my valve clearances i can get the feeler gauge in there but its tight does it need to be changed now or do i have some time left

so problem ended up being the kill switch disconnected it and now it runs like a champ

You disconnected the kill switch??? Thats not a good idea............

You need to figure out whats going on that made the kill switch malfunction.

somewhere from the switch to the connector the wire shorted so i wasnt getting any spark so disconnected it and now it sparks picking up a new switch tomorrow

didnt wanna start a new tread but having another problem now. when i start the bike pull in the clutch and shift into gear the bike dies as if i popped the clutch. is that a symptom of a warn clutch or what i tried tightening the cable

didnt wanna start a new tread but having another problem now. when i start the bike pull in the clutch and shift into gear the bike dies as if i popped the clutch. is that a symptom of a warn clutch or what i tried tightening the cable