Sign in to follow this  

96 RM 250 needle R1468m?

Hey guys so I took apart my carb to adjust the pos of the needle and Found that I have a R1468M needle? I know this isnt the stock one but my question is this the right type of needle for my bike and if so would it be a richer or leaner needle from the stock? I dont really know how the numbers work for the needles but know the basics like raise the clip you lean out the needle. Anything will help thanks

I have an 97 and am at ~700ft...

I think the stock was NIED but it was pretty rich. I like a NOZG personally in mine I have tried a NOZH, but it would lean surge on deceleration.

Eric Gorr recommends a R1368N needle for the 93-95 RM's, so can't be too far off, and he says this about the 96-00:

Riders at high altitude or in warm climates complain of rough running when accelerating out of turns. The reason is that the carb's slide cutaway is roo rich. Modify the cutaway by filing and polishing for a finished depth of 7 mill. Take care when performing this mod because 1 rough edge can cause the throttle to stick open.

Dunno if you could just buy a different slide to help or what, I have a 93 RM so haven't bothered looking, the needle was the problem with the 93 from what I've heard.

The stock needle for the 96 RM 250T is a R1467N. The 14 is the taper angle, the 67 is the straight diameter( the 67 is 2.675mm, and the 68 is 2.685). Your needle is the same taper, one step leaner on straight diameter, and has a shorter L1(M) which brings it onto the taper of the needle quicker. If your not having problems this is not a bad needle to have. What type of riding do you do?

Thanks Jcat, that's what I needed. I ride a lot on trails but also do about 30% of my riding on a track also. I had it on the 3rd setting and seemed to bog a little at the1/4- 3/4 range. Should I go go down to the 2nd again? I ride at about 1500-2000 feet I have a stock pj with a 55 slow and a 168 main for now but going to put in the 170. I have a new gold series pipe, new reeds so plan on re jetting it and tuning it up so its a good rev all the way through the throttle range.

The 55 pilot jet is good depending on temp/humidity, but watch that adjustable choke/idle thing as it really affects the bike. the 2nd clip position is probably good just as long as you dont notice a lean spot in the needles range. As far as your main 170 is the leanest I would go with. Just make sure all else is sound mechanically. Let me know if you have any other Qs:thumbsup: