Sign in to follow this  

Yam XT225 easy carb cleaning?

Hello,

I'm helping a friend get his bike running again. It is a Yamaha XT225. It was last started about 4 months ago. The bike turns over but doesn't "catch" at all. I am assuming compression is good and spark is good and that the air/fuel is the issue. In fact the spark plug was stolen when we got to the bike and we replaced it.

Ultimately, I'm posting with the hope that I can find a way to ungunk the carb in an easy way. I'd rather not take everything apart and disassemble the carb, futhermore everything is a bit weathered and I don't want to risk breaking corroded screws, etc.

In fact after inspecting the carb, I located the drain screw on the bottom of the float bowl. I tried unscrewing it, but it was stuck. I removed the hose between the fuel tank and the carb and tested the petcock. It works. The nipple on the carb fed by the fuel tank seemed full of fuel.

Is there anyway I can take the airbox off and spray a cleaner into the carb? or some other type of easy fix? It doesn't have to be quick, I can let it soak! :bonk:

Thank you for all the help.

For a thorough cleaning, the carb will have to come apart.

Period.

Myself, I'd break that drain screw free and try draining the float bowl first.

Sometime, this is all that's required to get the bike running because the small amount of gasoline that was left in the float bowl has gone stale.

I've seen and sold (but never used myself) carb cleaning chemicals that are poured into the carb through the fuel line, left to soak, and then drained out via the drain screw.

Last I knew (a few years ago) Yamaha motorcycle dealers could order this carb cleaner through their accessory catalogue.

Myself, though, I'd just take the carb off and take it apart.

I realize you said things are stuck and look corroded, but, I've seen complete pieces of shit come into service departments for a "get it running" restoration (which is another way of saying the owner of the bike wants to piss money away into a POS), and those carbs were taken apart.

Have a can of WD40 handy.

Sorry, carb has to come off and be opened up.

Hit the clamp screws with easy-off or similar lube a few hours (or days!) before you start, that will help getting them off, and of course, use the right-sized screwdriver for the job. Take your time and do it right and it won't be that hard..

..a

Ok,

I'm going to verify spark, hose down that drain screw with some loosener and after all that fails.... Take apart the carb and clean it!

:smirk:

Thanks, will try to remember to post how it all goes.

Spray WD40 all over the outside of the engine and carb: loosens the stuck stuff, makes the corroded aluminum look better, and helps soften the rubber/plastic parts. It won't matter after the evaporative part goes away, and it won't hurt anything. I've dumped a carb into a can full of WD40 for a few days to loosen up all the stuff. (you can buy it by the gallon, and it makes a nice soak for this sort of thing)

Spraying starting fluid down the airbox opening may allow the engine to start, and provide enough vacuum to suck some of the crud through the carb. However, like everyone else said, you'll have to pull it apart sooner or later if you want ti to run right. I'd check the valve adjustment after you run it a bit (running will knock off the crap from the valve seats before you start measuring, so you get a good reading) and change the oil as well.

Good luck.