Sign in to follow this  

96 yz125 died now wont start

I bought my 96 yz125 yesterday and after riding it for about an hour I was going down the road about 200 yards from one trail to another and I pulled the clutch in and it died and let it out and wouldn't start back. We pushed it back and were kicking it over and it has power and is getting gas but wont kick start or roll start. Any help is appreciated.

We also put a new high performance plug in when we got back and it has good compression.

The clutch cable didn't snap and kill it in gear, did it? I guess by having power, you mean it has spark? I'd throw fresh fuel in it, try it again. If that doesn't do it, you should pull the tank and check the wires, sometimes they get rubbed through or otherwise become unserviceable. If that all checks out pretty well, maybe pull the clutch cover and see what you can find in there. Dig around some and see what you find, then post more info and someone can probably help you out. Welcome to TT.

The clutch cable didn't snap, I checked. Yes I meant spark. I will try all that whenever I get time and let you know.

There was a little bit of old fuel in it but less than a quarter tank and I filled it up with new fuel bought the same day. It has compression.

How do I check to see if carb is getting air through the filter? I am going to try all these things tomorrow afternoon and will put up results.

You came to the right place-Congrats on your New score--And Welcome.

you need fuel,spark,compression and air all at the right time.

1st.Take-off the gas cap off,make sure your cap/vent/vent hose is clear.

2nd.New 32-1 pre-mix fuel,About a gallon to start til you get it going.

3rd.Take your fuel line off the Carb-put hose in clear glass see -it flows.-if not smooth-Petcock has a screen up in the tank-two phillips screws,easy--make sure it's clean.

4th.Your spark.Clean the top of the head-so nothing drops in.The plug---Check gap.Make sure plug is Spot-on clean,not covered in plooge. Kick it over observe condition of spark-should be nice and blue-strong. If Good/Great spark--Go to #5.

5th.Make sure when you put the plug back in --The plug/cap is on the wire nice

!!!!!!Something to check!!!!Get pleanty of light-check all you wires everywhere CDI,Kill switch,coil----Had countless grounded kill switch when I changed bars-LOL. check them all.

6th.Air filter: Just make sure it's clean,and in good shape and seal up tight against the carb boot.-Good time to clean-out inside of your Air box.

7th.Your Carb-Inspection time.Start at the Cylinder, work your way back,check the condition of the rubber intake boot and the hose clamps.Make sure that all vent hoses are clean/not plugged on the ends.

There is a small brass screw on the lower bottom of the left side of the carb,scew it in clockwise until it stops!!!!!Dont over tight!!!!. back-out 1 1/2 turns counterclockwise. Done.

8th.Lift choke plunger on carb ,fuel on Kick it over.!Let's go from here.These are some basics.If it still won't start do not ripping apart yet

I know this is alot --Hope i didn't put ya to sleep.LOL.-Keep in mind this is just a start. If you have a camera-Charge it up and click away.

C-Ya!

Edited by prostreetray
spelling
  • Like 1

Well we figured out the problem we thought it had compression then we hooked it to a gauge and it had 20 pounds so we took the exhaust off and noticed the piston ring was gone so were going to rebuild the whole top end